Legal Secretary (Private Client & Tax)
Permanent - Full Time
Private Client and Tax
The legal secretary position at Withers Bergman LLP is responsible for providing a broad range of secretarial and
administrative support to fee-earners, administrative personnel and clients. This role is resident the San Francisco office and is assigned to the Private Client and Tax division and may provide support to the Dispute Resolution division as well.
- Drafts letters and documents; collects and analyzes information; prepares charts, graphs, and other visuals.
- Supports fee-earners and clients by reading, researching, reviewing, verifying, and routing correspondence,
- reports and legal documents.
- Maintains attorneys' calendars by scheduling conferences, teleconferences, and travel.
- Maintains hard copy and electronic filing system (FileSite/iManage).
- Schedules meetings with internal and external participants, and arranges conference rooms.
- Communicates and obtains information from/for internal and external clients.
- Inputs attorney time into timekeeping software.
- Prepares Chrome River reimbursement reports for assigned fee-earners.
- Coordinates monthly billing process between accounting and assigned partner(s). This includes preparation
- of draft and final client invoices and transmittal of same.
- Supports the New Client Intake process which includes the conflicts check, matter details and Engagement
- Letter preparation.
- Assists with providing coverage to reception as scheduled by the Office Manager.
- Operates office equipment including photocopy machine and scanner when needed.
- Maintains confidentiality of client and firm matters.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
Skills and experience required
1. Must possess strong technical skills, with solid knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint as
well as programs such as FileSite/iManage and Elite.
2. Strong communication skills: the ability to express self effectively, both orally and in writing including
excellent spelling, grammar, punctuation, form and style. Ability to compose correspondence as needed.
3. Interpersonal skills: the ability to establish effective working relationships with colleagues.
4. Knowledge of library operations and records storage procedures for retrieving materials and files.
5. Familiarity with legal terminology pertinent to the areas of assignment.
6. Ability to prioritize and multitask effectively.
7. Ability to work both as a team as well as independently.
8. California Notary strongly preferred.
Experience and Education Required:
- 3+ years as a secretary or administrative assistant in a professional service industry, preferably in a law firm's wealth planning or private client practice group.
- High School diploma required, Bachelor's Degree preferred.