Junior/ Mid-Level Trust & Estate Litigation Associate
Permanent - Full Time
Private Client and Tax - Contentious Trusts (US)
Withersworldwide have been acting for successful individuals, businesses and institutions for over 100 years. We advise clients on their business and personal legal needs both at home and abroad. In this fast moving and increasingly regulated world the need for integrated and timely advice has never been more urgent.
We are recognised as the only international law firm for successful people, their families, their businesses and their philanthropic work. With offices in Europe, Asia, the United States and the Caribbean we provide coverage that other law firms focussed on the individual cannot. We continually look for opportunities to ensure we are based in the same locations as our clients and their wealth. We have represented 70% of the Top-100 ‘Sunday Times Rich List’, as well as a significant number of people listed in the US (Forbes) and Asian (Hurun) Rich Lists.
The firm consists of three global legal Divisions: Business; Dispute Resolution and Private Client & Tax. Each Division is headed by a Divisional CEO and Divisional Operating Officer. There is also an overarching CEO of the global firm.
General Practice Description:
Withers is top-ranked in trust and succession disputes, with the world’s largest team of lawyers dedicated to them. With 17 offices around the world including London, New York, New Haven, California, Hong Kong and Singapore, we are especially well placed to advise on cross-border issues. Our team offers a comprehensive range of probate, legal, accounting and management services. We work with a broad range of clients, including professional and individual trustees, executors and administrators, banks, and beneficiaries (both individuals and charities).
The associate will primarily work on trust and succession disputes and other fiduciary litigation, including disputes involving estate administration, elder abuse, accountings, fiduciary duties, conservatorships, and creditor's claims. The associate will also work from time to time on other trust and estate administration or general commercial litigation matters. #LI-Post
Skills and experience required
Skills and experience required:
- Strong academic credentials (JD required)
- Licensed to practice in California
- 2 - 5 years' experience as a litigation attorney, preferably within a Contentious Trusts group
- Demonstrated ability to support more senior attorneys through trial
- Strong research, drafting, writing and communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong project management ability; ability to balance a large number of competing priorities
- Team Player
Skills and experience preferred:
- Exposure to sophisticated trust, estate and fiduciary related litigation, probate administrations, will and trust contests, and conservatorships
- Experience with California probate courts
- Experience advising clients on risk assessment and counseling, alternative dispute resolution, and administrative proceedings
- Experience developing and cultivating client relationships
- Familiarity with strategic marketing initiatives a plus
- International experience a plus
- Writing and presentation skills and experience, including proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and trial and litigation related software programs a plus