Corporate Associate (3-5 PQE)
Permanent - Full Time
Business - Corporate
Withersworldwide have been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for over 100 years. We advise clients on their business and personal legal needs both at home and abroad. In this fast moving and increasingly regulated world the need for integrated and timely advice has never been more urgent.
We are recognised as the only international law firm for successful people, their families, their businesses and their philanthropic work. With offices in Europe, Asia, the United States and the Caribbean we provide coverage that other law firms focussed on the individual cannot. We continually look for opportunities to ensure we are based in the same locations as our clients and their wealth. We have represented 70% of the Top-100 ‘Sunday Times Rich List’, as well as a significant number of people listed in the US (Forbes) and Asian (Hurun) Rich Lists.
The firm consists of three global legal Divisions: Business; Dispute Resolution and Private Client & Tax. Each Division is headed by a Divisional CEO and Divisional Operating Officer. There is also an overarching CEO of the global firm.
Most large firms have a corporate department that provides broad legal advice on commercial issues. What makes our team different is that we provide a unique combination of corporate experience integrated with tax advice across the US, Europe and Asia.
Each member of our team has an understanding of the personal and corporate issues that impact our clients both in their business and private lives. It is this unusual blend of knowledge that allows us to offer an individual service to the leaders of public and privately held organizations.
We frequently act as general counsel, advising on all legal aspects of their day-to-day operations and deal flow. Clients include financial institutions, entrepreneurs, public and privately owned businesses operating across numerous business sectors such as brands, healthcare, manufacturing, retail, services, hotels and leisure, information technology, media and telecoms.
Depending on the experience and interests of the successful applicant, the role may encompass the full range of corporate M&A, venture capital investment and advisory work, working in a wide range of sectors, including our well-regarded technology practice. The successful candidate will be a key member of the team from the start; drafting and negotiating a range of documents, such as share and asset purchase agreements, shareholders' and investment agreements, articles of association and related transaction documents. The suitable candidate needs to be able to produce good first drafts of a suite of documents and help lead the delivery of a transaction, including managing due diligence. The transactions are frequently international. The clients will be a mixture of investors, founders, entrepreneurs, and corporates. Experience of partnership/LLP law, share incentives and/or capital markets may be helpful but is not essential.
Key skills and experience
- 3-5 years post qualification experience
- Excellent academics and the benefit of a broad training in a well-regarded Corporate department
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Effective team player - able to work effectively in an established, close-knit team
- An enthusiastic and engaged attitude with excellent people skills and a good, clear communication style
- A willingness to take responsibility and ability to form strong working relationships across all areas of the practice
- Excellent technical ability and solid drafting skills
- Ability to communicate and handle client contact (both internal and external) from the outset
- A commercial and pragmatic outlook
- Familiarity with technology e.g. excel, word
- Working hours: 9.30am – 5.30pm but flexibility is a must
- 6 month probation period
- 12 week notice period
- Flexible benefit package including pension, private medical insurance, dental plan, season ticket loan, subsidised gym memberships, lifestyle discount scheme, the ability to buy and sell holidays, flu jabs, doctors consultation service, cycle to work scheme, on site café plus more
For further information, please contact Kylie Fawcett.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
We endeavour to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, we operate a preferred supplier list ('PSL') and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is our policy to provide equal opportunities for all employees/prospective employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.