Corporate Transaction and Support Executive
Permanent - Full Time
Business - Corporate
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for over 100 years. We advise clients on the full range of their business, personal and philanthropic legal needs, both at home and abroad. With offices in the key financial centres of Europe, Asia-Pacific, the United States and the Caribbean, we provide coverage and services that other law firms focussed on the needs of the individual cannot. We have represented 70% of the Top 100 in The Sunday Times Rich List, 25% of the Forbes List of Wealthiest Americans, 35% of The Sunday Times Top Philanthropists, and 35% of the Hong Kong Forbes Rich List.
About Withers tech
Technology drives the global economy. From connected devices, wearables and driverless cars to cryptocurrencies, blockchain and machine learning, technology is shaping how companies do business today and in the future. From Fortune 500 to SME's to start-ups – businesses need to be prepared for the next ‘big thing.’ On 1st August 2018, Withersworldwide merged with JAG Shaw Baker to form Withers tech, a unique legal offering designed to fully meet the needs of entrepreneurs, investors and technology companies globally. The Withers tech team represents companies throughout their life cycle (from start-up to exit). We specialise in advising high-growth technology companies across all sectors, including life science, CleanTech and FinTech, on investment and exit transactions, general corporate, commercial and intellectual property matters, equity incentives, as well as, employment, immigration, tax, litigation and real estate. Our lawyers' help clients navigate the challenges they face as their business grows in the constantly changing global environment.
This role provides support to the Withers tech team, ensuring investment transactions are closed efficiently and accurately and providing consistency of service and quality control across the team. The successful candidate will also be responsible for maintaining the relationship with company clients between transactions, providing seamless support and (where applicable) company secretarial services to around 200 fast-growth companies. There is scope to expand the function internationally as the Withers tech brand grows, as well as opportunity to extend to other departments in the firm (initially the broader corporate team). The successful candidate will be a key member of the team from the start, whilst also working alongside other colleagues in the wider corporate team, providing mutual support across the practice. The candidate will have gained corporate experience at a firm recognised for its corporate work and be looking for a role that offers direct client contact, considerable responsibility and accountability and the opportunity to be part of one of the UK's leading venture capital practices.
Areas of focus and responsibilities
- Support of corporate transactions, including drafting board resolutions, shareholder resolutions, waivers and consents, as well as ensuring company books are updated and share certificates and Companies House filings are prepared;
- Oversight and management of the company secretarial function (including client correspondence and routine annual Companies House filings), as such tasks relate to the Withers tech clients;
- Acting as an initial point of contact for client queries (internal and external);
- Preparing and filing dormant company accounts;
- Arranging formation of new companies;
- Assisting with company reorganisations; and
- Undertaking due diligence of company books and Companies House during investment rounds.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content and requirements for the performance of this job and, as such, the role may include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
Key skills and experience
- Knowledge of relevant legal and regulatory requirements, particularly the UK Companies Act 2006 and knowledge of corporate governance principles and practices.
- Ambition to develop real expertise in all aspects of company secretarial law (training will be provided). ICSA qualification is not necessary, a solid corporate transactional background is essential.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective team player - able to work effectively in an established, close-knit team.
- Excellent technical ability and solid drafting skills.
- A keen interest in early stage, technology-focused businesses.
- Experience of running a sizeable caseload on own initiative, with high level of organisational and time-management skills.
- Experience of building relationships with new and existing clients both in person and over the telephone.
- Experience of writing up and maintaining statutory registers via Blueprint and making statutory filings is not essential but would be an advantage.
- 9.30 – 5.30pm but flexibility is a must
- 12 week probation period
- 3 month notice period
- Flexible benefits package including pension, private medical, season ticket loan, subsidised gym memberships, lifestyle discount scheme, on site café plus more
For further information, please contact Kylie Fawcett.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
Withersworldwide endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, Withersworldwide operates a preferred supplier list and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withersworldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.