US Conflicts & New Business Intake Attorney
Permanent - Full Time
Risk and Compliance
Reporting to the US Head of Risk & Compliance, the Conflicts & New Business Intake Attorney supports the critical Risk Management function for the Firm's seven US offices. The role primarily focuses on managing the Firm's Risk with regards to new business intake, including initiating and conducting sound analysis of conflicts checks for new matters; reviewing, interpreting, and summarizing conflict report results; drafting and negotiating conflict of interest waivers and consents, and advising relevant partners on new client acceptance, anti-money laundering (AML) and reputational risk issues in order to secure the necessary resolutions and approvals. This role will be based in one of our California offices (ideally in San Diego) and the incumbent will be expected to travel between our seven US offices, as necessary, and to make occasional trips to London. This is a regular, full-time position, working Monday to Friday. Flexibility is required from time to time.
- Initiate and analyze conflicts checks for new business and working alongside Firm partners and Risk & Compliance colleagues on the resolution of legal and commercial conflicts.
- Assist the Head of Risk & Compliance with documenting analyses and requirements, procedures, and best practices for new business intake.
- Ensure that all clients and matters created via the NBI workflow process and any amendments to them are processed correctly using Intapp Open and Elite and, where necessary, liaise with the Finance and/or Risk & Compliance teams in other offices.
- Review, interpret, and summarize conflict report results and demonstrate sound analysis of conflicts of interest issues.
- Collaborate with attorneys and the Head of Risk & Compliance to settle on appropriate terms of engagement, and where needed, negotiate engagement, outside counsel guidelines and conflict of interest waiver terms with firm clients or in conjunction with the responsible partner.
- Propose improvements for methods and standards for analysis of conflicts of interest.
- Monitor the team for consistency, accuracy, thoroughness, and efficiency.
- Supervise the set-up, management, and updating of restricted groups and information barriers using Intapp Wallbuilder.
- Ensure that accurate client due diligence data is obtained where required and tracking receipt of all necessary regulatory requirements associated with new business intake.
- Identify changes in applicable rules, regulations and standards within the US that are relevant to the Risk & Compliance team and propose necessary modifications to policies and procedures for consideration by the US Head of Risk & Compliance and International Risk & Compliance Director.
- Develop expertise on conflict of interest rules and approaches in specific practice areas to help develop and improve templates, algorithms, and frameworks of analysis for conflicts issues in such areas.
- Advise lawyers regarding applicable professional conduct rules and how to apply them in specific situations; conduct training for lawyers and staff on professional responsibility issues, primarily conflicts of interest and intake processes.
- Ensure that lateral hire conflicts checks are processed timely and correctly, working with Recruiting and the candidates to ensure all relevant information is provided, searched, and analysed correctly to resolve any potential conflicts of interest or business concerns.
- Work on special projects, as assigned.
- This list of duties and responsibilities above is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content of, and requirements for, the performance of this job. As such, the role may also undertake additional tasks as required.
Specific Skills Required
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of the firm's internal, personnel, and client affairs.
- Conflict/Compliance/Risk experience preferred but not essential.
- Highly proficient in all standard office software, including Outlook, Word, and Excel, particularly with advanced Excel and database management experience.
- Proactive in the identification of risks and identifying solutions to mitigate them.
- Excellent attention to detail together with a methodical and organized approach.
- Strong communicator, inquisitive and enthusiastic and willing to work with lawyers and support staff at all levels and in differing jurisdictions, able to handle queries efficiently with diplomacy and tact, gaining confidence of partners and staff.
- Able to manage fast-paced workload effectively and move projects forward under tight deadlines while handling multiple, detailed tasks.
- Able to influence and build strong working relationships with internal clients and colleagues in a collaborative and supportive manner.
- Able to escalate issues as appropriate and present and communicate issues effectively along with logical solutions to Head of Risk & Compliance and partners.
- Strong commercial aptitude.
- Solutions focused, proven initiative, pro-active approach and independent thought. Knowledge of legal regulatory and legislative requirements for law firms, and an understanding of risk in the legal services environment, would therefore be beneficial.
Experience and Education Required
- JD required, ideally with at least two years of professional practice or legal Risk Management experience.
- Admitted to and in good standing with the CA Bar.
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for over 100 years. We advise clients on their business and personal legal needs both at home and abroad. In this fast moving and increasingly regulated world the need for integrated and timely advice has never been more urgent.
We are recognized as the only dedicated international law firm for successful people, their families, their businesses and their philanthropic work. With offices in Europe, Asia, the United States, Australia and the Caribbean we provide coverage that other law firms focused on the individual cannot. We continually look for opportunities to ensure we are based in the same locations as our clients and their wealth. We have represented 42% of the Top-100 ‘Sunday Times Rich List’, as well as a significant number of the top 100 people listed in the US (Forbes) and a significant number in the Asian (Hurun) Rich List.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withers Worldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.