Library & Knowledge Advisor
Permanent - Full Time
Library and Knowledge Services
The Library and Knowledge Services team is a global function comprised of nine people. In collaboration with Professional Support Lawyers based in all our regions this combined team is responsible for ensuring that everyone in the firm has the knowledge, information and resources they need in order to complete their work to the highest possible standards.
The continued growth of Withers in the US has created an exciting opportunity for a new role within the team. The successful candidate will be part of a team working to raise the profile of library and knowledge efforts in the US and build relationships with senior stakeholders across the firm.
Working primarily with the Library and Knowledge team and Professional Support Lawyers based in the US and London, the Library & Knowledge Advisor will have shared responsibility for the provision of library and knowledge services to all seven of Withers' US offices. The Advisor will be based in either San Diego or Los Angeles (with a preference for Los Angeles) with the expectation of future periodic travel between our California offices and occasional travel to offices outside California. The role will report to the Library and Knowledge Manager in the US.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
Research and Training
- Perform legal and business research requests for attorneys and business services teams.
- Perform research to support business development and strategic priorities.
- Guide and train attorneys and staff on the effective use of research databases and print collection.
- Assist attorneys and business services teams with the monitoring of legal, business and news sources for current developments in practice areas and client industries.
Developing the Service
- Promote research services by proactively providing information to attorneys and staff, including new joiner orientations.
- Willing and able to present ideas and implement 'best practices".
- Advise on local policies and procedures for the US offices in line with the firm's global strategy for Library & Knowledge Services.
- Work on special projects as required.
- Work with the Library and Knowledge Manager to review budget expenditures for the US, ensuring the offices collectively stay on or under budget.
- Responsible for the evaluation of resources, including but not limited to assessing the business need for new purchases and current subscriptions and maintaining physical and electronic collections.
- Periodic travel to other west coast offices and upkeep of those collections.
- Creation, monitoring and maintenance of intranet pages.
- Assist with knowledge management initiatives and the rollout of new tools and other initiatives, as required.
- Collaborate with US based and overseas Professional Support Lawyers on identifying knowledge gaps and facilitate knowledge sharing.
EDUCATIONAL AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS/MLIS) from an ALA-accredited program.
- Minimum 3-5 years' professional experience in a law library.
- Proficiency with online resources including Westlaw Edge, Checkpoint, Cheetah, Bloomberg Law, Lexis Newsdesk, Capital IQ, Practical Law, Intelligize, TLO, PACER and other types of web based services.
- Experience with tax, trusts & estates, litigation, corporate, real estate and intellectual property legal practices.
- Experience in competitive intelligence research such as profiling companies or individuals for business development and strategic purposes.
- Experience with electronic resource management tools like Onelog or similar.
- Able to summarize large pieces of text and other information, accurately and succinctly.
- Able to work independently as well as within a team.
- Strong service orientation with commitment to outstanding customer service.
- Able to meet deadlines, manage multiple projects and deliver under pressure.
- Strong IT skills, technical curiosity and ability to quickly learn new technologies.
- Skilled at using own initiative to find solutions to questions or problems and committed to seeing new projects through to completion.
- Solid interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Able to communicate with people at all levels of seniority and understands the needs and sensitivities required to work within a global team.
- Ability and desire to mentor other team members.
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for over 100 years. We advise clients on their business and personal legal needs both at home and abroad. In this fast moving and increasingly regulated world the need for integrated and timely advice has never been more urgent.
We are recognized as the only dedicated international law firm for successful people, their families, their businesses and their philanthropic work. With offices in Europe, Asia, the United States, Australia and the Caribbean we provide coverage that other law firms focused on the individual cannot. We continually look for opportunities to ensure we are based in the same locations as our clients and their wealth. We have represented 42% of the Top-100 ‘Sunday Times Rich List’, as well as a significant number of the top 100 people listed in the US (Forbes) and a significant number in the Asian (Hurun) Rich List.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withers Worldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.