Trusts & Estates Associate (Junior / Mid-level)
Permanent - Full Time
Private Client and Tax
The Department: Our team helps successful families and their advisors around the world to further the family's business, philanthropic and personal goals, and structure their assets in an efficient way to preserve and protect their wealth now and for future generations. We advise on all aspects of wealth structuring, using sophisticated and creative techniques to provide optimal results that integrate income and transfer tax planning with non-tax goals. We have over 150 lawyers worldwide who concentrate on tax and wealth planning for many of the world's wealthiest families, often with complex structures and global interests. We work together cross-office and cross-discipline to advise on all aspects of tax and wealth planning.
The Role: The focus of this role will be to work alongside partners and senior associates in advising high net worth individuals and their advisors on primarily complex domestic estate and tax planning, trust structuring, and estate and trust administration, including working with business interests, investment vehicles, family enterprises and charitable organizations
Skills and Experience Required:
- Strong academic credentials (JD required; LLM is a plus)
- Admitted to, and in good standing with the State Bar of Connecticut
- Minimum 3+ years' experience practicing in a law firm Trust & Estates group
- Strong drafting, writing, research and communication skills
- Experience drafting complex wills and trusts
- Exposure to and experience in drafting, advising on, and implementing sophisticated wealth planning strategies such as Family Limited Partnerships, Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts, Dynasty Trusts, Insurance Trusts, Directed Trusts, Sales to Grantor Trusts, Buy-Sell Agreements, Decanting and Private Trust Companies
- Knowledge of and ability to research and apply rules governing income taxation of trusts and estates, gift tax return reporting, generation-skipping transfer (GST) tax and Chapter 14
- Desire to work directly with clients and coordinate with intermediaries, with a goal of establishing and maintaining long-term productive relationships
- International experience a plus
- Strong project management, ability to balance a large number of competing priorities
- Attention to detail
- Team Player
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
The firm is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Equal employment opportunity has been and will continue to be a fundamental principle at the firm. Employment at the firm is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, disability status, medical condition, genetic information, political activity or affiliation, protected veteran status, or any other classification or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. The firm prohibits and will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on the basis of any of these classifications or characteristics.
The firm is committed to complying with all applicable provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) and state and local disability laws, as applicable. It is the policy of the firm not to discriminate against any qualified employee or applicant with respect to any terms or conditions of employment because of such individual’s disability or perceived disability. Such terms or conditions of employment include application procedures, hiring, advancement, discharge, compensation, training, or other privileges of employment. The firm will make a reasonable accommodation for employees or applicants with a qualifying disability unless providing such accommodation would impose undue hardship.