Commercial IP Associate (2-3 PQE)
Permanent - Full Time
Business - Intellectual Property
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, businesses and institutions for 125 years. We advise clients on their business, personal and philanthropic needs both at home and abroad. In this fast moving and increasingly regulated world the need for integrated and timely advice has never been more urgent.
We are recognised as the leading international law firm for successful people. With offices in Europe, Asia, the United States and the Caribbean we provide coverage across the world that other law firms focussed on the individual cannot. We have represented 70% of the Top-100 ‘Sunday Times Rich List’, as well as a significant number of people listed in the US (Forbes) and Asian (Hurun) Rich Lists.
The firm consists of three global legal Divisions: Business; Dispute Resolution and Private Client & Tax. Each Division is headed by a Divisional CEO and Divisional Operating Officer, working with the CEO of the global firm
About Withers tech
Withers tech is a global venture capital and technology legal practice serving disruptors and innovators in the technology and life sciences sectors. Our experts operate out of the firm’s core territories in Europe (London, Cambridge and Milan), the US (Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York), and APAC (Singapore and Hong Kong), offering a global solution to clients seeking to scale and expand internationally.
The Withers tech team has been at the centre of the UK's thriving technology and venture capital sector for over a decade, advising on some of the most high-profile issues.
Having been established with the mission of supporting and driving the growth of the innovation economy, Withers tech is responsible for driving forward the convergence of innovation and technology with other practice areas within Withersworldwide. Our lawyers support firm-wide global initiatives addressing the rapidly changing landscape of 'traditional', long-established sectors which historically have been slower to adopt innovation such as Real Estate, Hotels & Hospitality, Fashion & Luxury Brands and Sport. We also help drive forward social impact investment and innovative funding strategies for family offices, charities and philanthropic donations.
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic mid-level Associate to join our fast growing and dynamic Intellectual Property (IP) and Technology team in the Business Division. The applicant should have a broad range of commercial, technology, and IP experience with particular knowledge of SAAS and technology agreements (especially enterprise level). The role is best suited to someone who is willing to get stuck-in, and enjoys helping disruptors to challenge the status quo.
The work is very often international in scope and there will opportunities to work along with other divisions and teams in our UK and overseas offices in the US, Europe and Asia. Given the nature of our clients, an interest in the tech sector, as well as the firms other key sectors (including the visual and literary arts, design and fashion) is a must.
Key skills and experience
- 2-3 years post qualification experience
- Excellent academics and the benefit of a broad training in a well-regarded commercial/IP team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, technical ability and solid drafting skills
- Effective team player - able to work effectively with colleagues in an vibrant but close-knit, friendly environment
- An engaged attitude with excellent people skills and a good, clear communication style
- A willingness to take responsibility and ability to form strong working relationships across all areas of the practice in the UK and internationally
- Ability to communicate and handle client contact (both internal and external) from the outset
- Good commercial awareness and a pragmatic outlook is also important
- Familiarity with using IT e.g. Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Working hours: 9.30am – 5.30pm but flexibility is a must
- 6 month probation period
- 12 week notice period
- Flexible benefit package including pension, private medical insurance, dental plan, season ticket loan, subsidised gym memberships, lifestyle discount scheme, the ability to buy and sell holidays, flu jabs, doctors consultation service, cycle to work scheme, on site café plus more
For further information, please contact the recruitment team.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
We endeavour to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, we operate a preferred supplier list ('PSL') and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is our policy to provide equal opportunities for all employees/prospective employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.