Job title: Risk & Compliance Officer
Practice Group: Business Services
Location: Hong Kong
Withers Worldwide is a fully integrated global law firm with lawyers located across five continents in 17 offices.
Our broad global platform allows us to guide clients through the legal challenges inherent in the ever-changing international landscape. As our client, you will receive quality advice on diverse legal and tax issues through the services of one law firm with a single communication.
Internationally, we have made a reputation for ourselves as the leading law firm for private capital; our clients include public and private companies founded by successful families, MNCs, financial institutions, international brands, family offices and HNWIs, charities and not-for-profit organisations, amongst others. We pride ourselves for our role in helping our clients achieve success.
We are growing our Risk & Compliance team and we are looking for a methodical and organized Risk & Compliance Officer, to be based in Hong Kong, who will provide an efficient level of service to the Hong Kong-based lawyers of Withers and other Withers lawyers in the region who require Conflicts and Client Management services.
Reporting to the APAC Head of Risk & Compliance and working to complement similar support provided by staff in London and on the East and West Coasts of the USA, the successful candidate will be responsible for processing conflict checks received via the New Business Intake ('NBI') workflow, processing, dealing with anti-money laundering, anti-bribery and corruption, and sanctions aspects of the Risk & Compliance team function and registering Client Due Diligence information and checking the data populated via the NBI in the Practice Management System ('PMS') which records details of the clients for whom we act and their respective matters.
Areas of focus and responsibilities
- Compare the scope of work to be undertaken and the conflict check details and if required, seek additional information
- To process conflict checks received via the automated NBI process. Analyze search results and in consultation determine whether or not the new matter is clear of a legal or commercial conflict and appropriate for the firm to take on
- Proactively following up when seeking information in order to resolve potential conflicts
- Escalating any conflict issues "up chain" to the Risk & Compliance Officer and (where appropriate) to Head of Risk & Compliance with clear analysis of the conflict and the conclusions reached so far
- Maintaining and updating the conflict search database as key information becomes apparent on existing matters
- Supporting the high volume business on matter inception, ensuring that conflict checks are carried out in a timely manner
- Recording all conflict research, communication with Partners/ Fee Earners and analysis and conclusion of the conflict resolution, for the purposes of compliance and auditing
- To send conflict search listings and to monitor responses
- Check relevant parties through our online PEP/sanctions screening tool
- Supporting the Money Laundering Reporting Officer and the Head of Risk & Compliance in connection with the firm's AML, Sanctions and ABC processes, policies and procedures:
- carrying out research in respect of Politically Exposed Persons ('PEPs') and other high risk clients,
- monitoring high risk clients and engagements,
- record keeping
- sanctions checking.
- Undertaking research on Politically Exposed Persons ('PEP') and high risk clients in order to create profile packs for management review.
- Working with the finance team to deal with queries arising where payments are made, or are to be made, by third parties on a client's behalf.
- Process, check and record client due diligence documentation.
- Chasing for client identification documentation for matters where it is outstanding but work is in progress.
- Creation and ongoing management/housekeeping of restricted groups and information barriers
- Maintenance of various Risk & Compliance records and registers
- To deal with business acceptance queries (including conflicts and anti-money laundering ID queries)
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content of, and requirements for, the performance of this job and, as such, the role may also include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
Key skills and experience
- Strategic thinker with commercial awareness.
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Strong customer focus
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Service orientated: Recognizing internal and external clients and the importance of service delivery.
- Ability to work as part of a team and using own initiative, manage own workload and adapt to changing priorities.
- Adaptable to new systems, procedures and requirements of role.
- Flexible approach: Willing to assist others in achieving team objectives.
- Confident dealing with senior management and ensuring service levels are adhered to. Well- disciplined and self-motivated.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Confident and proactive approach.
- Enthusiastic and positive attitude.
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience gained within the legal professional services environment.
- Knowledge of international rules around conflicts of interests and knowledge of case law on conflicts of interest
- Knowledge of international anti-money laundering legislation
- Degree or other relevant qualifications
- Highly PC literate - experience using Elite Enterprise, IntApp Open or similar management systems is desirable.
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for over 100 years. We advise clients on the full range of their business, personal and philanthropic legal needs, both at home and abroad. With offices in the key financial centres of Europe, Asia-Pacific, the United States and the Caribbean, we provide coverage and services that other law firms focussed on the needs of the individual cannot. We have represented 51% of the Top 100 in The Sunday Times Rich List, 25% of the US Top 100 Forbes Rich List, 30% of the Top 20 Hong Kong billionaires in the Forbes World's Billionaires list and over 20% of the Forbes Asia's Richest Families list.
The firm consists of three global legal Divisions: Business, Dispute Resolution and Private Client & Tax. Each Division is headed by a Divisional CEO and Divisional Operating Officer. There is also an overarching CEO of the global firm.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
Withersworldwide endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, Withersworldwide operates a preferred supplier list and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withersworldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.