Permanent - Full Time
Job title: HR Manager
Reports to: Senior HR Manager and Assistant HR Director EU & Asia
What are we looking for?
This is a 12 month maternity cover initially, and afterwards it is an additional permanent HR Manager to the team based in our London office.
We are looking for an experienced, detail oriented and driven HR Manager to provide high quality HR advice and guidance to our divisions in the EU and to undertake HR projects as necessary. This role will initially provide HR business partner support to two divisions, managing all aspects of the employee lifecycle. Once the maternity cover is complete the role will likely support one division and manage HR processes and projects.
Areas of focus and responsibilities
- Actively support the Divisional CEO, the leadership team and the partners in the management of their divisions, through the provision of commercial HR support and advice.
- Develop and maintain strong business relationships with key stakeholders to become a trusted advisor
- Provide proactive advice and guidance to management on all employee relations issues, including performance management, flexible working requests, absence management, disciplinaries and grievances
- Manage, develop and delegate work to an HR Advisor and HR Assistants to ensure the work is done in the most efficient way and the team continues to grow and develop its talent
- Attend monthly finance and utilisation meetings to discuss the division's financial performance
- Oversee the resourcing plans for the divisions, and work with the recruitment team to provide cost efficient and effective recruitment solutions.
- Oversee the processes by which staff join, are integrated and leave the firm efficiently and fairly
- Take an active part in the business planning process for the divisions
- Ensure full compliance with employment law through effective application of HR policy and procedures
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures for consideration and inclusion in the Employee Handbook
Developing our people:
- Ensure the effective performance management of all staff across the divisions
- Lead the appraisal process, coordinating it globally with the local HR teams, with day to day support from an HR Advisor on the process.
- Advise on training interventions for the division in conjunction with the Learning and Development team
- Support the identification and development of key talent to enable the division to meet their business objectives through effective succession planning
- Be an HR mentor for a number of trainees ensuring they get the right support and development during their training contract
- Keep abreast of industry trends and developments, through maintaining a strong network of external contacts, and make recommendations for change within the firm as required
Compensation and benefits:
- Review and sign off London payroll on a monthly basis (rotated between HR Managers)
- Undertake the annual salary review and bonus process for the divisions
- Supporting our global HR team through leading HR cyclical activities for all our global offices as required
- Identify and undertake HR process management reviews
- Lead and support ad projects as required to deliver business improvement in line with the people strategy
- Responsible for oversight of the practicing certificate renewal process and SRA and regulatory queries, with the work being led by the HR Advisor
- Responsible for oversight of UK immigration matters, with day to day tasks being completed by the HR Advisor
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content of, and requirements for the performance of this job, and as such, the role may also include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
As this is firstly a maternity cover, these responsibilities will be reviewed after 12 months and may be amended as needed to ensure the best support is provided by the HR team to the firm.
Qualifications and experience required
- Relevant degree-level qualification (desirable)
- CIPD certification (desirable)
- Evidence of extensive relevant HR experience in an HR manager/ business partner role – the ideal candidate will come from a professional services background
- Strong ER background with experience of tackling issues in all areas
- High work standards and detail oriented
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with internal clients – must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills to build confidence, trust and respect amongst partners and managers
- A team player, with evidence of supporting the wider HR team to deliver a first class HR service to all internal clients
- Experience of managing a small team
- Demonstrate evidence of ability to work with people at all levels
- Strong service orientation with attention to detail and a sense of urgency
- Ability to manage projects at the same time, using appropriate resources
- First class written and verbal communication skills
- Organised and driven to achieve efficiency
- Proactive, confident, tenacious, resilient and flexible
About the HR team at Withersworldwide
The HR department at Withers has a complement of 16 HR professionals based in the London office, 7 in the US, 1 in Geneva, 6 in Asia and 2 remote workers who support the global HR function. The department works with its global divisions on a business partner basis.
The HR team is a hardworking and committed one and is closely integrated to deliver a valued service to the business. Our HR team enjoy the unique culture that Withers has to offer. We are proud to have won HR team of the year in 2019 at the HR in Law awards.
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for over 100 years. We advise clients on the full range of their business, personal and philanthropic legal needs, both at home and abroad. With offices in the key financial centres of Europe, Asia-Pacific, the United States and the Caribbean, we provide coverage and services that other law firms focussed on the needs of the individual cannot. We have represented 70% of the UK Sunday Times Rich List, 25% of the US Forbes Rich List, 35% of Forbes Hong Kong's 50 Richest People List, 48% of Forbes Singapore's 50 Richest People List and over 35% of the Forbes Asia's Richest Families list.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
Withersworldwide endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, Withersworldwide operates a preferred supplier list and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withersworldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.