Corporate Tax Associate (NQ)
Permanent - Full Time
Private Client and Tax
Withersworldwide have been acting for successful individuals, businesses and institutions for over 100 years. We advise clients on their business and personal legal needs both at home and abroad. In this fast moving and increasingly regulated world the need for integrated and timely advice has never been more urgent.
We are recognised as the only international law firm for successful people, their families, their businesses and their philanthropic work. With offices in Europe, Asia, the United States and the Caribbean we provide coverage that other law firms focussed on the individual cannot. We continually look for opportunities to ensure we are based in the same locations as our clients and their wealth. We have represented 70% of the Top-100 ‘Sunday Times Rich List’, as well as a significant number of people listed in the US (Forbes) and Asian (Hurun) Rich Lists.
The firm consists of three global legal Divisions: Business; Dispute Resolution and Private Client & Tax. Each Division is headed by a Divisional CEO and Divisional Operating Officer. There is also an overarching CEO of the global firm.
Our team helps founders, entrepreneurs and owners of private capital around the world structure their business and personal affairs in a way that allows them to maximise returns on and the efficiency and preservation of their wealth.
We advise on all aspects of business and investment structuring, both domestically in the jurisdictions in which we have offices and internationally. Our advice includes the design and implementation of trading, investment and holding structures, as well as the modernization of existing ones. We frequently act as general counsel, advising on all legal aspects of their day-to-day operations and deal flow. Clients include privately owned businesses operating across numerous business sectors such as brands, healthcare, manufacturing, retail, services, hotels and leisure, information technology, media and telecoms as well as financial institutions and public enterprises.
We are looking for a newly qualified associate with experience in a UK corporate tax seat during their training contract with commercial acumen, preferably gained within a leading international law firm, who is looking to start their career as an associate at, or transition to a firm that offers the opportunity to have a more client-facing and project leading role, working for founders and entrepreneurs as well as companies.
The ideal candidate must have experience in:
- Providing UK tax advice for both domestic and international businesses
- Cross-border investment and business structuring
- Providing tax advice integrated with the commercial, legal and regulatory aspects of transactions
- Drafting tax deeds and warranties, finance documents and advising on business taxation
- Delivering high quality professional services with a focus on UK tax law
It would be beneficial if the candidate also had skills and experience in some of the following:
- Building and maintaining a network of intermediaries and enthusiasm for developing business
- Advising on management incentive arrangements, and/or investor tax reliefs, such as the EMI scheme and EIS
- Advising on employment-tax related issues and the IR35 rules
- Advising on commercial real estate transactions
- Advising on tax aspects of investment funds
- Candidates must be newly qualified
- Be admitted to practice as a solicitor in England & Wales
- Must have demonstrable experience of working on tax aspects of corporate and transactional matters
- Must have recent experience of cross-border corporate tax structuring
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Effective team player
- An enthusiastic and engaged attitude with excellent people skills and a good, clear communication style
- A willingness to take responsibility and ability to form strong working relationships across all areas of the practice
- Excellent technical ability, solid drafting skills and strong research skills
- Ability to communicate and handle client contact (both internal and external) from the outset
- A commercial and pragmatic outlook
- Strong IT skills (e.g. Word & Excel)
- Working hours: 9.30am – 5.30pm but flexibility is a must
- 6 month probation period
- 12 week notice period
- Flexible benefit package
For further information, please contact the recruitment team.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
We endeavour to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, we operate a preferred supplier list ('PSL') and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is our policy to provide equal opportunities for all employees/prospective employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.