Head of IT Service Delivery
Permanent - Full Time
Job title: Head of IT Service Delivery
Reports to: IT Director
What are we looking for?
Withers' operates out of 17 offices globally, spanning the US, Europe and APAC. Each region has an IT Service Delivery team who deliver IT service desk support and IT training as part of a global capability, and implement user-facing IT projects for that region. This is supported by the Systems Team, based out of London, who deliver and support infrastructure and applications across the firm.
The global Head of Service Delivery role leads the IT service delivery capability across all of Withers' offices, with direct accountability for:
- ensuring excellent support to Withers' partners and staff in accordance with IT service management procedures,
- defining and delivering the firm's IT training strategy, and
- directing the strategic roadmap for the delivery of all products and services within their purview.
The role leads and mentors the regional Service Desk Managers and the IT Training Manager, working closely with the Head of IT Systems and Regional Heads of IT in order to ensure that services delivered meet user needs.
This role is central to the delivery of expert support and knowledge of core business applications and processes across the firm, and hence requires strong leadership capabilities and experience of working in a medium to large multi-site professional services organisation, together with a broad knowledge of legal industry applications. This is particularly important as Withers has recently embarked on a strategic programme to improve working practices across the firm, supported by technology, the success of which will depend on the IT service delivery capability. This person must therefore be aware of, and keep up to date with, emerging trends in technology, be adept at balancing strategic and technical needs to deliver business quantifiable benefits, and at adapting delivery approaches to optimise results.
As one of the primary user-facing representatives of IT, the individual must have excellent stakeholder management skills, have the gravitas to instil confidence in senior (executive-level) business stakeholders, and be able to diffuse difficult situations. The successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the effective control of IT delivery, for example managing major service outages and incidents, in a calm, methodical and professional manner.
A very high level of personal organisation and professionalism is required, together with a 'can-do' attitude and an ability to work to tight deadlines and under pressure. This person must inspire a positive work environment and help champion quality, innovation, teamwork and service to the business.
Areas of focus and responsibilities
- To be a part of the Global IT Leadership Team, and to work in close partnership with peers and other stakeholders to deliver an optimal IT service to the firm within available budgets and resource capacity
- To ensure that IT Service Desk support and Training are delivered to the highest possible standard across all regions, as measured by excellent satisfaction levels across the business stakeholders, and to act as the senior escalation point for IT support issues
- To ensure that the global Service Delivery team and the constituent team members continue to improve in order to meet Withers' evolving support requirements and to support team members' personal development and career satisfaction through recruitment, organisation, training, coaching and appraisals
- To own the ITSM processes, monitor their effectiveness, and proactively identify opportunities for improving both IT and business performance, as part of the design and delivery of a strategic roadmap of innovative processes, standards and technologies
- To deliver qualitative and quantitative metrics of performance which will help with IT issue identification, policy and decision making, and guide investment in service improvement
- To be responsible for all service-related business communications
- To identify and proactively manage Major Incidents and work with global support teams to quickly and efficiently deliver a resolution, minimise impact, and ensure the speedy resumption of business operations and security of the business assets
- To gather formal and informal customer feedback via stakeholder meetings and forums in order to ensure that all support issues and ideas are identified and addressed, and then engage with the global IT team to identify, plan and deliver solutions
- To lead and oversee the implementation of user-facing IT projects delivering new and enhanced services across all offices
- To continually maintain and expand a strong working knowledge of currently-used and future technologies to provide technically accurate solutions to end-users and to increase IT’s value
- In conjunction with the Head of IT Systems, to ensure fit-for-purpose support contracts are in place for user-facing IT systems, including liaising with suppliers for purchasing, and managing suppliers to ensure that the best quality of service is obtained
- To define and manage the IT support and training budget.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content of, and requirements for the performance of this job, and as such, the role may also include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
Skills, knowledge, qualifications and competencies:
- Graduate or equivalent in a numerate subject (IT or related)
- Demonstrated success over 5+ years in leading, building and managing a busy, well-structured service delivery function across multiple locations
- Minimum 5 years' experience of having delivered ITIL-based IT services in a law firm or similar/professional environment. It is expected that the post-holder will have relevant ITIL qualifications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to all levels of seniority
- Strong analytical problem solving skills with the ability to methodically and logically draw conclusions
- Able to plan and execute effective strategies that have led to measurable business growth
- Able to negotiate demand and priorities with stakeholders
- Experience of devising and managing delivery of a program of training activities to ensure continuous learning improvement
- Past hands-on experience in delivering products and services, including proactive vendor management and negotiation
- Demonstration of having identified and delivered innovation which delivered tangible business benefits
- Demonstration of extensive knowledge of current issues and trends in IT services, including security, data protection, etc.
- Excellent working knowledge (desirable) of legal IT systems such as:
- Windows 10, and Office 365
- networking technologies (wired and wireless)
- remote working technologies – e.g. Citrix and dual-factor authentication
- mobile devices including iPhone
- document management system – iManage or similar
- time management/recording systems – Elite, SmartTime or similar
- practise management systems – Elite or similar
- customer relationship management systems – InterAction or similar
- video and audio conferencing capabilities
- Able to work closely with senior (executive level) business stakeholders, demonstrating the gravitas and presence to inspire confidence and influence actions
- Empathises with user frustrations; capable of dealing with people in a calm, professional and effective manner
- Enthusiastic and approachable: an excellent people manager who can motivate both team members and others to fully engage and to work collaboratively to deliver solutions
- Engaging with diversity of thought, recognising contributions and concerns from members of the firm – team members and stakeholders – from all backgrounds
- Strategic-level thinking, able to work with the Global IT Leadership Team to define and influence strategic decisions in order to optimise IT services and capabilities delivered to the firm
- Strong attention to detail in order to ensure that services and responsibilities are delivered to a high standard, and that decisions are based on sound justifications backed by data
- Excellent analytical troubleshooting skills with the ability to resolve problems methodically and logically
- A proactive self-starter who will actively seek out innovative opportunities to deliver value, whilst ensuring alignment to the overall IT strategy and priorities
- Adaptable to rapidly changing work conditions, as the Firm, the IT team, and the technology environment grow and evolve
- Strong commercial approach, ensuring that services and capabilities deliver maximum value for money
- Enjoys working as part of a global team, assisting colleagues and sharing information with others, with the ability to occasionally travel overseas where required
- Flexible approach to working hours, in order to accommodate global interactions and IT changes / incidents, when required
- 9.30am to 5.30pm but flexibility is a must and occasional after-hours work will be required
- 12 week probation period
- 12 week notice period
- Flexible benefits package including pension, private medical, season ticket loan, subsidised gym memberships, lifestyle discount scheme, on site café and more.
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for over 100 years. We advise clients on the full range of their business, personal and philanthropic legal needs, both at home and abroad. With offices in the key financial centres of Europe, Asia-Pacific, the United States and the Caribbean, we provide coverage and services that other law firms focussed on the needs of the individual cannot. We have represented 70% of the Top 100 in The Sunday Times Rich List, 25% of the Forbes 400 List, 35% of the Hong Kong Forbes Rich List, and 35% of Forbes Asia's Richest Families list.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withers Worldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.