Privacy, Data Protection & Cybersecurity Associate
Permanent - Full Time
Business - Corporate
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, businesses and institutions for over 100 years. We advise clients on their business and personal legal needs both at home and abroad. In this fast moving and increasingly regulated world the need for integrated and timely advice has never been more urgent.
We are recognized as the only international law firm for successful people, their families, their businesses and their philanthropic work. With offices in Europe, Asia, the United States and the Caribbean we provide coverage that other law firms focused on the individual cannot. We continually look for opportunities to ensure we are based in the same locations as our clients and their wealth. We have represented 70% of the Top-100 ‘Sunday Times Rich List’, as well as a significant number of people listed in the US (Forbes) and Asian (Hurun) Rich Lists.
The Role: The focus of this role will be on privacy and data protection compliance, vendor management/contract negotiation, and data incident response, as well as related issues such as data licensing and management; blockchain and cryptocurrency; and artificial intelligence/machine learning. A significant focus of this role will be on advising clients on US and international privacy and data security issues and compliance program implementation, including under GDPR, CCPA, TCPA, NY SHIELD, GLBA, and NYDFS Cybersecurity Regulations.
Skills and experience required:
- Strong academic credentials
- Admitted to, and in good standing with the State Bar of New York and/or Connecticut
- Minimum 2 years' experience in a law firm's Data Protection/Privacy practice
- Strong drafting, writing and communication skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and to interact in a professional manner with colleagues and clients
- Experience advising clients on privacy and security impacts of complex corporate and technology transactions
- Experience advising clients on preparing for, responding to and recovering from ransomware and other data incidents
- Knowledge of privacy and security compliance regulations under GDPR, CCPA and others
- Strong project management ability; ability to balance a large number of competing priorities
- Team player and motivated to succeed as a group
Skills and experience preferred:
- IAPP Certification (CIPP)
- International experience a plus
- Experience with law enforcement and regulatory investigations a plus