Legal Secretary, Dispute Resolution (Divorce & Family Law)
Permanent - Full Time
The legal secretary position at Withers Bergman is responsible for increasing attorney effectiveness by providing administrative support, information and information management and representing the attorney to clients and others. This role is resident in the Los Angeles office and is assigned to the Dispute Resolution division.
Scope of Responsibility
This position will work within Dispute Resolution division to support one partner, one associate, and one paralegal (subject to change in the future), and office administration. The job encounters recurring and new varied work situations of moderate degree of complexity, and includes frequent contact with others inside and outside of the firm including immediate partners, associates, and supervisors, members of other departments or other offices, clients and other professionals.
- Produces information by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and graphics; coordinating case preparation.
- Transmits information to courts and third parties by electronic filing, preparing submission in accordance with governing rules, creating proofs of service, drafting correspondence, completing courtesy copies, and strict adherence to deadlines.
- Conserves attorneys’ time by reading, researching, reviewing, verifying, and routing correspondence, reports and legal documents; drafting letters and documents; collecting and analyzing information; initiating telecommunications; organizing client conferences, and attorney meetings; scheduling couriers, and other special functions; coordinating preparation of charts, graphs, and other visuals; preparing expense reports. Circulates information and documents in a times sensitive manner.
- Maintains attorneys' calendars by planning and scheduling conferences, teleconferences, dispositions, and travel; anticipating changes in transaction preparation requirements.
- Provides historical reference by developing and utilizing filing and retrieval systems.
- Maintains hard copy and electronic filing system (FileSite/iManage).
- Schedules meetings with internal and external participants, and arranges conference rooms.
- Represents attorneys by communicating and obtaining information; following-up on delegated assignments; knowing when to act and when to refer matters to attorney.
- Generates revenues by documenting and inputting attorney billable time, time spent on firm related matters and reimbursable expenses; preparing invoices; tracking payments.
- Prepare Chrome River reimbursement and credit card expenditure reports to accounting for assigned fee earners.
- Coordinates monthly billing process between accounting and assigned partner for narrative edits, time movement and draft bill processing.
- Provides information to workflow during client intake, including matter details and Engagement Letter preparation.
- Maintains client confidence by keeping client/attorney information confidential.
- Assists with providing ad hoc cover on reception when requested by the Office Supervisor.
- Operates office equipment such as photocopy machine and scanner to produce copies and scanning when needed.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned and assist attorneys when needed.
Specific Skills Required
- Must possess strong technical skills, such as typing, and have a good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint 2003 and 2010 as well as programs such as FileSite/iManage and Elite.
- Solid command of the English language including excellent spelling, grammar, punctuation, form and style. Ability to compose correspondence needed.
- Strong communication skills: the ability to express self effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Interpersonal skills: the ability to establish effective working relationships with colleagues
- Knowledge of library operations and records storage procedures for retrieving materials and files.
- Previous experience in preparing pleadings, briefs, declarations, exhibits and other litigation documents, as well as electronic filing documents with Federal and California courts.
- Previous experience with document management systems and electronic organizational filing methods preferred.
- Familiarity with legal terminology pertinent to the areas of assignment.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask effectively.
- Ability to work both as a team as well as independently.
- 3+ years as a secretary or administrative professional within in a law firm is required.
- 2+ years of family litigation experience is required, preferably within a midsized or large law firm. Experience with other litigation client groups is also welcomed.
- Previous experience supporting at least one partner/high level manager in a legal services environment.
- CA Notary highly desired.
- Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred.
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for over 100 years.
We advise clients on the full range of their business, personal and philanthropic legal needs, both at home and abroad. With offices in the key financial centres of Europe, Asia-Pacific, the United States and the Caribbean, we provide coverage and services that other law firms focussed on the needs of the individual cannot. We have represented 46% of the Top 100 in The Sunday Times Rich List, 25% of the US Top 100 Forbes Rich List, 30% of the Top 20 Hong Kong billionaires in the Forbes World's Billionaires list and over 20% of the Forbes Asia's Richest Families list.