Permanent - Full Time
Private Client and Tax
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: The fiduciary accountant will work within our Private Client and Tax Department and be responsible for the preparation of estate, gift, and income tax returns and estate and trust accountings. The position includes handling both recurring and new work situations of varying degree of complexity. A high level of contact with persons within the firm and outside the firm (including partners, associates, supervisor, members of other departments or other offices, clients, court personnel and other professionals) will be required. Contacts are usually made as directed and/or on individual initiative and concern matters requiring explanation, discussion, interpretation or approval.
- Preparation of federal and state fiduciary income tax returns for trusts and estates.
- Preparation of federal and state individual income tax returns.
- Preparation of partnership, corporation and foundation tax returns.
- Preparation of federal and state estate and gift tax returns.
- Preparation of probate/fiduciary accountings.
- Preparation of income projections and income tax planning.
- Maintain checkbook and other bank and security or investment accounts.
- Assist with federal and state audits.
- Correspond with tax authorities to resolve tax issues.
- Calculate estimated taxes and cash needs.
- Prepare financial statements.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned and assist attorneys when needed.
SPECIFIC SKILLS DESIRED:
- 5+ years as trust and estate fiduciary accountant or experience in a closely related field OR entry level professional with a strong tax and accounting background as we are willing to train the right candidate.
- Knowledge of ProSystems and GEMS is a plus but not required.
- Knowledge of international taxation is desired but not required.
- Knowledge of trust accounting is a plus but not required.
- Must have strong tax and accounting knowledge.
- Strong working knowledge of Excel, Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Must possess the ability to multi-task and work under strict deadlines with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in accounting or tax.