Permanent - Full Time
Law.com International's Law Firm of the Year 2021
For 125 years, our firm has focused on and helped successful people, families, entrepreneurs, family businesses, governments and institutions negotiate the wide range of legal issues they face in their business and personal lives. Over time, we have gained valuable insights into the ways wealth can be generated, preserved, deployed and enhanced. We assist our clients in a variety of industry sectors including real estate, manufacturing, motorsport, luxury brands, sport, hotels and hospitality, technology, energy, art and cultural assets, life sciences, charities and philanthropy and financial services. With 18 offices our experience means we can see the global picture. We provide legal advice across a range of different practice areas including estate planning, personal and corporate tax and, corporate, banking and finance, access to capital (both private and public) both equity and debt, real estate, intellectual property, immigration, international trust structuring, philanthropy, luxury assets, international probate, public international law and international arbitration.
Private Client and Tax Division
Today, we are the only truly global law firm dedicated to the personal and private capital needs of high net worth individuals and families.
Many of our clients are international families with interests in a number of locations. In a fast-moving and increasingly compliance focused world, the need for integrated advice that reaches across borders has never been greater. With offices across Europe, the United States and Asia-Pacific we provide coverage that other law firms in this area cannot match. Our team of experienced private client solicitors continually look for opportunities to ensure we have a strong presence in the locations where our clients live, work and invest.
Our advice to fiduciaries covers the design and implementation of new plans, as well as the modernization and consolidation of older trusts. We also assist them in complying with the complex rules surrounding investments, accounting, taxes and compliance.
Clients from every walk of life
Our clients have achieved success in many fields, from senior executives to multi-generational families, owners, managers and investors in private capital and some of the world’s wealthiest people. In Europe we have represented 70% of The Sunday Times top 100 Rich List and in Asia we act for 35% of the Hong Kong Forbes Rich List. We act not just as private client lawyers but trusted advisers, looking to build strong relationships with you and with other professionals advising you. This is one of the reasons we are proud to have been asked to represent families down the generations. Our mission: To be recognized as the top, and only truly global, law firm offering integrated domestic and international private client and tax advice.
The private client team is ranked top in our offices around the world by the leading legal directories and have won and been shortlisted for a number of well recognized awards over the years.
Scope of Responsibility
The fiduciary accountant will work within our Private Client and Tax Department and be responsible for the preparation of estate, gift, and income tax returns and estate and trust accountings. The position includes handling both recurring and new work situations of varying degree of complexity. A high level of contact with persons within the firm and outside the firm (including partners, associates, supervisor, members of other departments or other offices, clients, court personnel and other professionals) will be required. Contacts are usually made as directed and/or on individual initiative and concern matters requiring explanation, discussion, interpretation or approval.
- Preparation of federal and state fiduciary income tax returns for trusts and estates.
- Preparation of federal and state individual income tax returns.
- Preparation of partnership, corporation and foundation tax returns.
- Preparation of federal and state estate and gift tax returns.
- Preparation of probate/fiduciary accountings.
- Preparation of income projections and income tax planning.
- Maintain checkbook and other bank and security or investment accounts.
- Assist with federal and state audits.
- Correspond with tax authorities to resolve tax issues.
- Calculate estimated taxes and cash needs.
- Prepare financial statements.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned and assist attorneys when needed.
Specific Skills Desired
- 5+ years as trust and estate fiduciary accountant or experience in a closely related field OR entry level professional with a strong tax and accounting background as we are willing to train the right candidate.
- Knowledge of ProSystems and GEMS is a plus but not required.
- Knowledge of international taxation is desired but not required.
- Knowledge of trust accounting is a plus but not required.
- Must have strong tax and accounting knowledge.
- Strong working knowledge of Excel, Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Must possess the ability to multi-task and work under strict deadlines with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in accounting or tax.
COVID – 19 Vaccination Policy
Withers Bergman LLP requires all new hires to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Reasonable accommodation(s) based on medical or religious grounds will be provided to qualified candidates. Candidates will be required to verify their vaccination status only after a conditional offer of employment is made. Applicants should not provide information about their vaccination status or need for accommodation prior to receiving a conditional offer of employment.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
Withers Bergman LLP is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Equal employment opportunity has been and will continue to be a fundamental principle at the firm. Employment at the firm is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. The firm prohibits and will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on the basis of any of these classifications or characteristics.
If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website to apply for a position, please contact the firm at 203 789 1320 or email email@example.com with your request. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.