Legal Secretary (Private Client & Tax)
Permanent - Full Time
The legal secretary position at Withers Bergman LLP is responsible for providing a broad range of secretarial and administrative support to attorneys, fee-earners, administrative personnel and clients. This role is resident in the New York office and is assigned to the Private Client and Tax division and may provide support to other divisions.
Scope of Responsibility
This position will work to support Partners, Associates, and Counsel (subject to change in the future). The job encounters recurring as well as new and varied work situations of moderate degree of complexity, and includes frequent contact with others inside and outside of the firm including immediate partners, associates, and supervisors, members of other departments or other offices, clients and other professionals.
- Drafts letters and trust and estate related documents; collects and analyzes information; prepares charts, graphs, and other visuals.
- Frequent communications with clients on behalf of attorneys.
- Effectively transcribes dictation for written communication and documents
- Maintains attorneys' calendars by scheduling conferences, teleconferences, and travel.
- Communicates and obtains information from/for internal and external clients.
- Manages administrative matters and details for attorneys.
- Maintains and updates attorney mailing lists for clients.
- Maintains confidentiality of client and firm matters.
- Coordination of monthly billing process between accounting and assigned partner(s) including inputting attorney billable and non-billable time, preparing and editing draft bills and final invoices and distribution to clients. Tracking of paid and outstanding invoices.
- Supports the New Client Intake process which includes the conflicts check, matter details and Engagement Letter preparation.
- Supports attorneys, fee-earners and clients by reading, researching, reviewing, verifying, and routing correspondence, reports and legal documents.
- Schedules meetings with internal and external participants and arranges conference rooms and any needed IT support (e.g. videoconferences).
- Prepares Chrome River reimbursement reports for assigned fee-earners.
- Maintains hard copy and electronic filing system (FileSite/iManage).
- Assists with providing coverage to other fee earners and Reception as requested by the Office Manager.
- Operates office equipment including photocopy machine and scanner when needed.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
Specific Skills Required
- Extremely detail oriented.
- Strong communication skills: the ability to express self effectively, both orally and in writing including excellent spelling, grammar, punctuation, form and style. Ability to compose correspondence as needed.
- Substantial experience with transcribing dictation.
- Must possess strong technical skills, with solid knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, as well as programs such as FileSite/iManage and Elite.
- Familiarity with legal terminology pertinent to the trust and estate area of law.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask effectively.
- Interpersonal skills: the ability to establish effective working relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Ability to work both as a team as well as independently.
- Knowledge of library operations and records storage procedures for retrieving materials and files.
Experience and Education Required
- 3+ years as a secretary or administrative assistant in a law firm, with experience in supporting the trust and estate legal practice.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- This role is hybrid and must be in the office 3 days week.