Corporate Associate (3-4 PQE)
Fixed Term - Full Time
Business - Corporate
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for 125 years. We advise clients on the full range of their business, personal and philanthropic legal needs, both at home and abroad. With offices in the key financial centres of Europe, Asia-Pacific, the United States and the Caribbean, we provide coverage and services that other law firms focussed on the needs of the individual cannot. We have represented 66% of the Top 100 in The Sunday Times Rich List, 25% of the Forbes 400 List, 35% of the Hong Kong Forbes Rich List and 35% of Forbes Asia's Richest Families list.
Withers’ Corporate team acts on a wide variety of corporate transactions and advisory work across a number of interesting and dynamic sectors. The English law team based in Milan acts for many well-known businesses in respect of their interests outside Italy and has a particular focus on the fashion, design and sports sectors.
The team works alongside our UK office and in particular with the Wealth Planning and other departments in advising owners, families and management teams at each stage of a business' life cycle (from incorporation through to value events) and at each stage of a stakeholder's interaction with a company (whether as founder or seller or in the context of shareholder disputes, divorce or succession planning). Fee earners also work closely with the wider Commercial group, which in addition to Corporate, comprises Banking and Finance, IT and IP, Corporate Tax, Charities and employee incentives.
We are looking to recruit maternity cover for a minimum of six months. The candidate can be based in either our London or Milan offices but will work primarily with the team in Milan.
The successful candidate will be a key member of the team from the start, supporting the drafting and negotiation of share and asset purchase agreements, shareholders' agreements, articles of association and related transaction documents. The suitable candidate needs to be able to produce good drafts of a suite of investment documents and help lead the delivery of an M&A or investment transaction including in relation to due diligence. The candidate will be working on multi-national corporate transactions advising corporate, family office and individual clients on disposals, acquisitions and investments, public and private transactions, and day-to-day corporate matters.
Key skills and experience
- 3-4 years post qualification experience
- England & Wales qualified
- Excellent academics and the benefit of a broad training in a well-regarded Corporate department
- Ability to draft English standard commercial agreements and M&A documentation
- Knowledge of Italian (spoken / written) is advantageous
- Effective team player - able to work effectively in an established, close-knit team
- An enthusiastic and engaged attitude with excellent people skills and a good, clear communication style
- Teamwork is vital as you will be working alongside colleagues in other offices
- Excellent technical ability and solid drafting skills
- Ability to communicate and handle client contact (both internal and external) from the outset
- Familiarity with technology e.g. excel, word
- Working hours: 9.30am – 5.30pm but flexibility is a must
- This is a fixed term contract for minimum six months
- This role can be based in London or Milan
- Flexible benefit package
For further information, please contact the recruitment team.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
We endeavour to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, we operate a preferred supplier list ('PSL') and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withersworldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.