Global IT Applications Manager
Permanent - Full Time
Job title: Global IT Applications Manager
Reporting to: Head of IT Systems
What are we looking for?
We are looking for a technically strong applications manager with strong leadership and technical experience to lead the IT Applications Team. The primary purpose of this position is to undertake the day-to-day management of the Applications group and to provide technical support and guidance across the firm's enterprise applications and end user compute technologies.
The individual will need to have a track record of translating strategy into actionable objectives and plans. The role holder must be able to communicate clearly at one-on-one and group levels, conveying a sense of purpose that motivates and instils confidence in others. The person must maintain direction by balancing big-picture concern with day-to-day issues. Demonstrating strong operational skills and is completely accountable for the team's success and shortfalls. The candidate will hold self and others accountable for continuous improvement. He or she will communicate expectations directly, openly and effectively.
The individual will work in the London offices as part of the Global Systems Team. The Global Systems Team is located in London and is responsible for supporting and maintaining the firm's technology across all geographical regions. The Global Systems Team is split by five functional but collaborative groups - Applications, Infrastructure, Architecture, Test/QA and Change/Release.
The Applications group are responsible for the unified communications, database systems, end user compute and the firms' business applications suite including document management, HR, finance, marketing and know-how systems. The team undertake the day-to-day administration, support, implementation and development of all the Firm’s applications and systems. In addition, this role will require the individual to work with project, security and development teams to ensure the effective delivery of business-led initiatives.
The Applications team is comprised of eight members, seven are which are located in London and one in Singapore. This role has direct line-management of each member. In addition, this role is an escalation point for technical issues both operationally and technically.
This role requires experience of working in a medium to large multi-site professional services organisation and broad experience of legal industry applications. Strong written and verbal communication skills are required with the ability to work with a wide range of people including vendors, project managers, technologists, legal staff, partners, secretaries and other support staff.
A very high level of personal organisation and professionalism is required, together with a 'can-do' attitude and an ability to work to tight deadlines and under pressure. This person must inspire a positive work environment and help champion quality, innovation, teamwork, and service to the business.
The priority for all IT activity is to maintain the highest levels of stability and reliability in the services delivered.
- Strong technical experience
- Strong management and leadership experience
- 3 – 5 years' experience in a supervisory or team leadership role
- General all round understanding of implementing and supporting IT applications
- A strong practical understanding of IT security and compliance best practices.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft 365
- Strong working knowledge of messaging platforms such as Exchange, Teams, Zoom, Avaya, Mimecast and MDM and mobile computing technologies and devices
- Strong working knowledge of legal-industry applications such as iManage Work, Elite 3E, BigHand, Interaction, Intapp Suite, Litera and Tikit TMS
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft technologies like SQL, PowerBI, Powerapps, Powershell
- Strong knowledge of end user compute technologies like SCCM, InTune, AdminStudio, Group policy
- Good knowledge of end user security toolsets like Crowdstrike, Forcepoint and Tessian
- Good knowledge of Windows-based servers, MS Active Directory, PCs, laptops and storage technologies
- Good Knowledge of virtual technologies such as VMware and Citrix XenDesktop and Xen App
- Experience of working in an ITIL-based support environment and with ITSM systems such as TopDesk
- Ability to prioritize tasks individually and the team
- Ability to learn new technologies and adapt quickly to new requirements and environments
- Excellent at troubleshooting and problem-solving complex issues
- Strong, demonstrable communication skills
- Strong and concise documentation skills
- Excellent customer service
Areas of focus and responsibilities
- Assist the Head of IT Systems in implementing, supporting and maintaining the portfolio of enterprise applications
- Coordinate and manage the day-to-day activities of the Applications team
- Provide technical leadership to the Applications group ensuring that responsibilities for key technologies are appropriately allocated and understood by colleagues
- Develop, present and implement proposals to the Head of IT Systems in order to improve systems
- Provide regular updates to the Head of IT Systems on the status of initiatives, projects and problems or support incidents assigned to the group
- Manage and monitor the team's queue in the service desk call-logging system to ensure incidents are managed in a timely manner and escalated according to the service management processes
- Identify, document and undertake maintenance and administration processes on systems globally
- Support systems, ensuring that the highest levels of stability and reliability are maintained
- Provide technical resource for projects run by the PMO. Progress projects and tasks on time and to budget
- Ensure security is maintained in line with the Firm’s security standards
- Contribute to the IT Risk register to identify and manage operational risks and work to eliminate areas of vulnerability
- Identify the training and development needs of the group and work with Head of IT Systems on overall development plans
- Complete team's annual development reviews
- Contribute to the maintenance and development of the Service Catalogue.
- Ensure all applications are monitored and a full understanding of the support life cycle is maintained
- Working with the Head of IT Systems, ensure that support contracts are in place for all systems and appropriate support, backup and capacity management procedures are in place and documented.
- Maintain strong relationship within IT systems – Solutions Architect, Infrastructure, Test and Change and Release teams
- Adhere fully to the Change and Release Management processes
- Identify major support incidents and liaise with support teams, following the Major Incident process. Inform the Manager and IT Management of any escalating support issues in order that they may be resolved within reasonable time scales
- Act as an escalation point for out of hours major incidents
- Adhere fully to the Problem management process and to the investigation of the root cause of outages
- Establish and maintain contact with colleagues in all offices to ensure that a consistent approach is being adopted across the firm
- Produce and maintain technical documentation and articles for the knowledge base
- Actively knowledge share and work with service desk staff to empower 1/2nd line
- Occasional assistance with cover for the global service desk phones and email
- Full time 9.30am to 5.30pm but flexibility is a must
- Hybrid working policy in place, expected to split time between office and home as needed. Practically, this should be minimum of 20% of time in the office.
- 12 weeks' probation period
- 12 weeks’ notice period
- Flexible benefits package including pension, private medical, season ticket loan, subsidised gym memberships, lifestyle discount scheme, on site café plus more.
About Withers Worldwide
Withers have been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for over 100 years. We advise clients on their business and personal legal needs both at home and abroad. In this fast moving and increasingly regulated world, the need for integrated and timely advice has never been more urgent.
We are recognised as the only international law firm for successful people, their families, their businesses and their philanthropic work. With offices in Europe, Asia, Australia the United States and the Caribbean, we provide coverage that other law firms focussed on the individual cannot.
With over 150 partners and more than 450 other lawyers, we have unparalleled expertise in commercial, tax, trusts, estate planning, financial services, litigation and arbitration, real estate, charities, employment, family law and other legal issues facing individuals and their families. The firm has advised 42% of the top 100 UK Sunday Times Rich List and over 20% of the top 100 US Forbes list, as well as numerous families in Asia.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withers Worldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.