US Conflicts & New Business Intake Attorney Flexible (New York, New Haven, San Diego, San Francisco)
Permanent - Full Time
Risk and Compliance
Law.com International's Law Firm of the Year 2021
For 125 years, our firm has focused on and helped successful people, families, entrepreneurs, family businesses, governments and institutions negotiate the wide range of legal issues they face in their business and personal lives. Over time, we have gained valuable insights into the ways wealth can be generated, preserved, deployed and enhanced. We assist our clients in a variety of industry sectors including real estate, manufacturing, motorsport, luxury brands, sport, hotels and hospitality, technology, energy, art and cultural assets, life sciences, charities and philanthropy and financial services. With 18 offices our experience means we can see the global picture. We provide legal advice across a range of different practice areas including estate planning, personal and corporate tax and, corporate, banking and finance, access to capital (both private and public) both equity and debt, real estate, intellectual property, immigration, international trust structuring, philanthropy, luxury assets, international probate, public international law and international arbitration.
Our Commercial, Charities and Real Estate practices are recognized for the ground-breaking work they do. Our lawyers are highly rated by both Chambers and Legal 500 in a number of other areas such as mergers and acquisitions, brands, intellectual property, hotels, investment funds, sponsorship and partnerships. As a leader in advising successful people around the world we understand the unique issues surrounding private capital. This can range from investment, structuring and control of cross-border investments to the corporate and personal tax issues created.
Clients from every walk of life
Our clients have achieved success in many fields, from senior executives to multi-generational families, owners, managers and investors in private capital and some of the world’s wealthiest people. In Europe we have represented 70% of The Sunday Times top 100 Rich List and in Asia we act for 35% of the Hong Kong Forbes Rich List. We act not just as private client lawyers but trusted advisers, looking to build strong relationships with you and with other professionals advising you. This is one of the reasons we are proud to have been asked to represent families down the generations. Our mission: To be recognized as the top, and only truly global, law firm offering integrated domestic and international private client and tax advice.
The private client team is ranked top in our offices around the world by the leading legal directories and have won and been shortlisted for a number of well recognized awards over the years.
Reporting to the US Head of Risk & Compliance, the Conflicts & NBI Attorney supports the critical Risk Management function for the Firm's seven US offices. The role primarily focuses on managing the Firm's Risk with regards to new business intake, including initiating and analysing conflicts checks for new matters and advising relevant partners on new client acceptance, anti-money laundering (AML) and reputational risk issues in order to secure the necessary resolutions and approvals. You will be based on the US West Coast (ideally in San Diego) and willing to travel between its seven US offices, as necessary, and to make occasional trips to London. This is a permanent, full-time position, working Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week. Flexibility is required from time to time.
• Initiate and analyze conflicts checks for new business and working alongside Firm partners and Risk & Compliance colleagues on the resolution of legal and commercial conflicts.
• Assist the Head of Risk & Compliance and the Conflicts & New Business Intake Counsel with documenting analyses and requirements, procedures, and best practices for new business intake.
• Ensure that all clients and matters created via the NBI workflow process and any amendments to them are processed correctly and, where necessary, liaise with the Finance and/or Risk & Compliance teams in other offices.
• Complete processes and procedures including engagement letters and waivers.
• Propose improvements for methods and standards for analysis of conflicts of interest.
• Monitor the team for consistency, accuracy, thoroughness, and efficiency.
• Supervise the set-up, management, and updating of restricted groups and information barriers.
• Ensure that accurate client due diligence data is obtained where required and tracking receipt of all necessary regulatory requirements associated with new business intake.
• This list of duties and responsibilities above is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content of, and requirements for, the performance of this job. As such, the role may also undertake additional tasks as required.
Specific Skills Required
- Conflict/Compliance/Risk experience preferred but not essential.
- Highly PC literate, particularly with advanced Excel and database management experience.
- Proactive in the identification of risks and identifying solutions to mitigate them.
- Excellent attention to detail together with a methodical and organized approach.
- Strong communicator, inquisitive and enthusiastic and willing to work with lawyers and support staff at all levels and in differing jurisdictions, able to handle queries efficiently with diplomacy and tact, gaining confidence of partners and staff.
- Able to manage workload effectively and move projects forward.
- Able to influence and build strong working relationships with internal clients and colleagues in a collaborative and supportive manner.
- Strong commercial aptitude.
- Solutions focused, proven initiative, pro-active approach and independent thought. Knowledge of legal regulatory and legislative requirements for law firms, and an understanding of risk in the legal services environment, would therefore be beneficial.
COVID – 19 Vaccination Requirement
Withers Bergman LLP requires all new hires to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Reasonable accommodation(s) based on medical or religious grounds will be provided to qualified candidates. Candidates will be required to verify their vaccination status only after a conditional offer of employment is made. Applicants should not provide information about their vaccination status or need for accommodation prior to receiving a conditional offer of employment.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
The firm is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Equal employment opportunity has been and will continue to be a fundamental principle at the firm. Employment at the firm is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. The firm prohibits and will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on the basis of any of these classifications or characteristics.
If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website to apply for a position, please contact the firm at 203 789 1320 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.