Legal Executive (fixed term contract)
Fixed Term - Full Time
Private Client and Tax
Since 1896, our firm has focused on and helped successful people, families, entrepreneurs family businesses, governments and institutions negotiate the wide range of legal issues they face in their business and personal lives.
Over time, we have gained valuable insights into the ways wealth can be generated, preserved, deployed and enhanced.
We assist our clients in a variety of industry sectors including real estate, manufacturing, motorsport, luxury brands, sport, hotels and hospitality, technology, energy, art and cultural assets, life sciences, charities and philanthropy and financial services. With 16 offices our experience means we can see the global picture.
We provide legal advice across a range of different practice areas including estate planning, personal and corporate tax and, corporate, banking and finance, access to capital (both private and public) both equity and debt, real estate, intellectual property, immigration, international trust structuring, philanthropy, luxury assets, international probate, public international law and international arbitration.
Private Client and Tax Division
Today, we are the only global law firm dedicated to the personal and private capital needs of high net worth individuals and families.
Many of our clients are international families with interests in a number of locations. In a fast-moving and increasingly compliance focused world, the need for integrated advice that reaches across borders has never been greater. With offices across Europe, the United States and Asia-Pacific we provide coverage that other law firms in this area cannot match. Our team of experienced private client solicitors continually look for opportunities to ensure we have a strong presence in the locations where our clients live, work and invest.
Our advice to fiduciaries covers the design and implementation of new plans, as well as the modernization and consolidation of older trusts. We also assist them in complying with the complex rules surrounding investments, accounting, taxes and compliance.
This practice generates approximately 55% of the partnership's revenues and is the largest in the world with over 300 people. We advise on domestic and international tax, estate planning, succession and mental capacity laws in Europe, the US and Asia, as well as facilitating our client's philanthropic endeavours. We have immigration teams in the major financial centres and are well placed to deal with tax investigation and litigation cases. Real estate is very important to our clients, and we have a specialist residential and rural team.
Clients from every walk of life
Our clients have achieved success in many fields, from senior executives to multi-generational families, owners, managers and investors in private capital and some of the world’s wealthiest people. In Europe we have represented 70% of The Sunday Times top 100 Rich List and in Asia we act for 35% of the Hong Kong Forbes Rich List.
We act not just as private client lawyers but trusted advisers, looking to build strong relationships with you and with other professionals advising you. This is one of the reasons we are proud to have been asked to represent families down the generations.
Our mission: To be recognised as the top, and only truly global, law firm offering integrated domestic and international private client and tax advice.
The private client team is ranked top in our offices around the world by the leading legal directories and have won and been shortlisted for a number of well recognised awards over the years
The Wealth Planning practice provides sophisticated legal advice to the world’s most successful people, from aristocracy to first, second and third generation entrepreneurs, industrialists, senior executives, celebrities, artists, philanthropists and other prominent figures. This practice generates approximately 55% of the partnership’s revenues (globally) and is the firm’s engine room. With more wealth planning lawyers worldwide the firm has one of the, if not the, largest and most comprehensive private client practices in the world. Although the London WP team is the largest in the firm, 25% of our EU and Asia clients are now based outside the UK.
As a Legal Executive in the Probate team you can expect to work with a broad range of clients, including professional and individual executors and administrators, banks, and beneficiaries (both individuals and charities).The role will involve all aspects of estates and succession work including:
- Probate Administration, including file management and running the file under appropriate supervision including being the client contact
- Preparing the appropriate inheritance tax account and statement of truth and all other documents required for the application for the grant
- Legal research
- Document review and analysis, including preparation of estate summary and review lifetime gifts
- Produce accurate, high quality work quickly and efficiently using the firm's software packages and document management systems
- Capable of preparing first drafts of Terms of Engagement letters; using electronic file opening, ensuring money laundering is adhered to and requesting necessary documentation
- In conjunction with secretarial staff and Marketing, assist in keeping the InterAction (Client Relationship Management System/Database) up to date and produce reports as required
- Provide effective and proactive communication with clients, legal staff and other support staff, organise meetings, answer the phone, take messages, manage e-mail, etc.
- Able to resolve account queries and produce monthly bills using Elite (finance and time recording system) and accompanying letters
- Assisting in preparing pitches and tenders and in all aspects of business development, as appropriate
- Participating in client events, as appropriate
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content and requirements for the performance of this job and, as such, the role may include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
- 9.30 – 5.30pm but flexibility is a must
- 12-week probation period
- 4-week notice period
- 12-month fixed term contract
- Flexible benefit package
Key skills and experience
- A minimum of two years' experience working as a Legal Executive is desirable
- Proven experience in Probate Administration: to include IHT Compliance
- Familiarity with technology e.g. excel, word
- Excellent research skills
- Be able to work as part of a team and under pressure and have strong financial aptitude (for billing)
- Strong academics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Information for Recruitment Agencies
Withersworldwide endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, Withersworldwide operates a preferred supplier list and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withersworldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.