Paralegal (Probate) - 12mth fixed term contract
Fixed Term - Full Time
Private Client and Tax
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for 125 years. We advise clients on the full range of their business, personal and philanthropic legal needs, both at home and abroad. With offices in the key financial centres of Europe, Asia-Pacific, the United States and the Caribbean, we provide coverage and services that other law firms focussed on the needs of the individual cannot. We have represented 66% of the Top 100 in The Sunday Times Rich List, 25% of the Forbes 400 List, 35% of the Hong Kong Forbes Rich List and 35% of Forbes Asia's Richest Families list.
Private Client and Tax Division
Today, we are the only global law firm dedicated to the personal and private capital needs of high-net-worth individuals and families.
Many of our clients are international families with interests in a number of locations. In a fast-moving and increasingly compliance focused world, the need for integrated advice that reaches across borders has never been greater. With offices across Europe, the United States and Asia-Pacific we provide coverage that other law firms in this area cannot match. Our team of experienced private client solicitors continually look for opportunities to ensure we have a strong presence in the locations where our clients live, work and invest.
Our advice to fiduciaries covers the design and implementation of new plans, as well as the modernization and consolidation of older trusts. We also assist them in complying with the complex rules surrounding investments, accounting, taxes and compliance.
This practice generates approximately 55% of the partnership's revenues and is the largest in the world with over 300 people. We advise on domestic and international tax, estate planning, succession and mental capacity laws in Europe, the US and Asia, as well as facilitating our client's philanthropic endeavours. We have immigration teams in the major financial centres and are well placed to deal with tax investigation and litigation cases. Real estate is very important to our clients, and we have a specialist residential and rural team.
We are looking for a robust, career-minded Paralegal for a 12-month fixed term contract. Key elements of the role include:
- Assist with preparation of engagement letters
- Prepare letters and correspond with asset and liability holders
- Assist with preparation of estate summaries and ongoing review of estate summaries for progress updates
- Prepare inheritance tax forms and probate applications and arrange submission
- Prepare letters of authority and other necessary closure forms
- Assist with collection and distribution of estate assets and payment of estate liabilities
- Prepare correspondence with Executors
- Assist with calling and or liaising with HMRC, probate registry and other third parties as and when required
- Scan/e-file documents where required and assist with keeping e-files up to date
- Arranging payment of legacies and drafting correspondence to beneficiaries
- Requesting IHT reference numbers
- Reviewing bank statements and client account ledgers as and when required
- Assisting with registering estates as complex with HMRC and obtaining income tax information as and when required
- Drafting PA1P forms/probate applications
- Prepare a short form IHT return for checking
- Preparing (freehand) draft letters of authority to banks and different organisations
- Completing bank closure forms
- Applying for IHT reference numbers
- Reviewing bank statements, client account ledgers and letters from organisations for details of income so we can feed information to accountants for preparation of income tax returns
- Arranging payment of legacies and drafting (freehand) letters to beneficiaries
- Drafting (freehand) emails and letters to clients, accountants and other organisations
- Reviewing files for progress updates i.e. which organisations we are still waiting to hear from with DOD values etc.
- Updating estate summaries
- Regularly calling HMRC/Probate registries for status updates (without being asked) and updating fee earner/draft updates to clients
- Any other ad hoc duties as required
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive.It is intended to describe the general content and requirements for the performance of this job and, as such, the role may include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
Key skills and experience
- Previous experience working in a probate role
- Ability to acquire new skills and to understand sophisticated concepts
- Familiarity with technology e.g. Excel, Word
- Strong research skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and under pressure
- Financial aptitude (for billing)
- Strong academics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Core working hours: 9.30am – 5.30pm but flexibility is a must
- This role is a 12-month fixed term contract
- Flexible benefit package
For further information, please contact the recruitment team.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
We endeavour to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, we operate a preferred supplier list ('PSL') and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is our policy to provide equal opportunities for all employees/prospective employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.