Associate (Intellectual Property)
Permanent - Full Time
Business - Intellectual Property
Practice Group: Intellectual Property
Job title: Associate
About Withers KhattarWong LLP
Withers KhattarWong LLP is amongst the largest international law firms in Singapore. We are a fully integrated global law firm with lawyers located across five continents in 18 offices.
At Withers, we understand the tech start-up ecosystem and have worked with all stakeholders in the ecosystem, across all stages of the life cycle of a tech company. We are committed to the technology sector and have a dedicated group of over 20 specialists across Asia with deep expertise in the full range of legal areas, such as funds, tax, corporate and intellectual property, focused on serving the tech sector. With such a broad range of expertise, we pride ourselves in being able to help our clients achieve success.
What are we looking for?
We are looking to hire an Associate to join the Singapore office of Withers' Technology and Intellectual Property team. The ideal candidate will have worked in an Intellectual Property (IP) or commercial team and have IP-transactional experience. The role will at times be demanding and fast paced so you will need to be an efficient worker who can prioritise, multi-task and remain calm under pressure.
Areas of focus and responsibilities
The role is focused on advising and assisting an exceptional client base of private and public companies, entrepreneurs and their families and family offices. The role will involve:
- Knowledge of and experience in advising clients on identification, protection and commercial exploitation of IP, acquisition of IP rights, personal data protection, and cross-border commercial transactions
- Advising clients from a variety of industry sectors that leverages on their IP for business and growth
- Working in a team of IP or commercial lawyers of diverse background and expertise.
- Advising clients on a wide range of high-value and complex matters
- Drafting and reviewing tech and IP related commercial contracts, such as collaboration, licensing, joint venture and services agreements
- Legal research
Given our multi-disciplinary approach in providing our clients with solutions, you will also get to collaborate with colleagues with an exceptional wealth of experience both in the Singapore office and other offices, and other practice groups.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content and requirements for the performance of this job and, as such, the role may include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
Skills and Experience
- One to two years PQE with experience in IP transactional work
- Experience in identification and protection of IP
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Analytical, organised and can demonstrate initiative
- Able to work as part of a dynamic team and also independently
- Proficient in PC skills e.g., Word, Excel etc
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for 125 years. We advise clients on the full range of their business, personal and philanthropic legal needs, both at home and abroad. With offices in the key financial centres of Europe, Asia-Pacific, the United States and the Caribbean, we provide coverage and services that other law firms focussed on the needs of the individual cannot. We have represented 66% of the Top 100 in The Sunday Times Rich List, 25% of the Forbes 400 List, 35% of the Hong Kong Forbes Rich List and 35% of Forbes Asia's Richest Families list.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
Withersworldwide endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, Withersworldwide operates a preferred supplier list and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withersworldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.