Secretary (Business Division)
Permanent - Full Time
What are we looking for?
We are looking to recruit a professional and forward-thinking legal secretary with a high level of discretion to provide support to Partners and other fee-earners. This is an exciting role for a good communicator with a high level of interpersonal skills required to liaise with people across all our offices, clients and contacts. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, be very organised and accurate with excellent attention to detail and the ability to use their initiative and exercise judgement in challenging situations. The role will at times be demanding and fast paced so you will need to be an efficient worker who can prioritise, multi-task, delegate, mentor and remain calm under pressure. Our secretaries typically support partners and several other lawyers and are relied upon to provide a high level service to both internal and external clients
Whilst we consider our secretaries to be part of one large team, we are currently looking for someone to support fee earners in our Business Division. Our Business Division have recognised specialist strengths in cross-border transactions, representing companies, institutions and charitable organisations around the world, working with the tech sector and venture capital in the tech space, and advising investment funds, including family offices. The Business Division have the depth and diversity of knowledge to advise on issues that arise over the entire life cycle of a company, from securing investment, to structuring executive pay, to completing mergers and acquisitions.
This role would be ideal for a first class legal secretary who is passionate about inspiring confidence and building relationships with colleagues and clients. This is a mobile role with an expectation of two or more days per week in the office, subject to business needs.
Skills and attributes
- Excellent communication skills and high levels of interpersonal skills
- Passionate and enthusiastic about providing exceptional client service
- Have the ability to use your initiative to adapt and think laterally
- The integrity to handle highly confidential information appropriately
- Self-motivated and goal focussed, you will enjoy change and variety and thrive under pressure
- Familiarity with technology eg Excel, Word, technically competent
- Enjoy being a team player with a flexible and can-do attitude and approach
- Exhibit an ability to prioritise effectively
- Understand the importance of delegation, mentoring and coaching of junior colleagues
- Financial aptitude (for billing and disbursements)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Areas of focus and responsibilities
- You will provide effective communication support to the partners, consultants and fee-earners you work with, and of course their clients
- Complex travel arrangements working across numerous time zones including: producing detailed itineraries, anticipating any additional requirements and keeping HR informed of movements.
- Dealing with confidential issues in a responsible way.
- Extensive and often complex diary management, coordinating meetings to best utilise time, managing diary conflicts and preparing any necessary documentation in advance.
- Provide effective mailbox management and maintenance of all electronic mail, including flagging up of any mail or issues that need attention and on occasion responding to email correspondence.
- Ensuring documents and emails are e-filed appropriately and in line with the firm's e-filing policy.
- In conjunction with other secretarial staff and our marketing department, you will assist in keeping InterAction (our client relationship management system) up to date, and produce reports as and when required
- During our monthly billing time you will assist with the production of bills using our finance and time recording systems, communicating with the legal and support staff to ensure billing is carried out within the set deadlines.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content and requirements for the performance of this job and, as such, the role may include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
Qualifications required and experience in sector
Excellent academic background, educated to graduate level or has equivalent professional experience. You will have a fast typing speed (65 words per minute) and will have developed advanced IT skills. Ideally you will have worked in a similar legal environment for a few years, with the ability to use your initiative to pick up unfamiliar work quickly and be proactive.
- 9.30 – 5.30pm but flexibility is a must
- 12 week probation period
- 4 week notice period
- Based in the London office but the role is a mobile role with the flexibility to work from home
- Flexible benefits package including pension, private medical, season ticket loan, subsidised gym memberships, lifestyle discount scheme, on site café plus more
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for 125 years. We advise clients on the full range of their business, personal and philanthropic legal needs, both at home and abroad. With offices in the key financial centres of Europe, Asia-Pacific, the United States and the Caribbean, we provide coverage and services that other law firms focussed on the needs of the individual cannot. We have represented 66% of the Top 100 in The Sunday Times Rich List, 25% of the Forbes 400 List, 35% of the Hong Kong Forbes Rich List and 35% of Forbes Asia's Richest Families list.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
Withersworldwide endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, Withersworldwide operates a preferred supplier list and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withersworldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.