The legal secretary position at Withers Bergman LLP is responsible for providing a broad range of secretarial and administrative support to attorneys, fee-earners, administrative personnel and clients. This role is hybrid/resident in the New York office and supports attorneys in various practice groups.
Essential duties and responsibilities
• Drafts letters and documents for a variety of practice areas including trust and estate related documents, corporate transaction documents, immigration forms, etc.; collects and analyzes information; prepares charts, graphs, and other visuals using PowerPoint, Excel and other software.
• Edits documents for fee earners.
• Maintains attorneys' calendars by scheduling conferences, teleconferences, and travel.
• Communicates and obtains information from/for internal and external clients.
• Manages administrative matters and details for attorneys.
• Maintains and updates attorney mailing lists for clients.
• Maintains confidentiality of client and firm matters.
• Coordinates monthly billing process between accounting and assigned partner(s). This includes preparation and editing of draft and final client invoices and transmittal of same.
• Supports the New Client Intake process which includes the conflicts check, matter details and Engagement Letter preparation.
• Supports attorneys, fee-earners and clients by reading, researching, reviewing, verifying, and routing correspondence, reports and legal documents.
• Schedules meetings with internal and external participants via Zoom/Microsoft Teams. Arranges conference rooms as needed.
• Prepares ChromeRiver reimbursement reports for assigned fee-earners.
• Responsible for entering fee earners time into 3E
• Maintains hard copy and electronic filing system (FileSite/iManage).
• Assists with providing notarizations and witnessing at client meetings; possible coverage of Reception as needed by the Office Manager.
• Operates office equipment including photocopy machine and scanner when needed.
• Performs other job related duties as assigned.
Key Skills and Experience
1. Must be willing to support different practice areas
2. Extremely detail oriented.
3. Strong communication skills: the ability to express self effectively, both orally and in writing including excellent spelling, grammar, punctuation, form and style. Ability to compose correspondence as needed.
4. Experience with transcribing dictation.
5. Must possess strong technical skills, with solid knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, as well as programs such as FileSite/iManage, and 3E or other billing software.
6. Familiarity with legal terminology
7. Ability to prioritize and multitask effectively.
8. Interpersonal skills: the ability to establish effective working relationships with colleagues and clients.
9. Ability to work both as a team as well as independently.
10. Knowledge of library operations and records storage procedures for retrieving materials and files.
Experience and Education Required
• 3+ years as a secretary or administrative assistant in a law firm, with experience in supporting partners in various practice areas; Private Client & Tax experience is a plus, but not required.
• This role is hybrid and must be in the office 3 days week.
• Bachelor's Degree preferred.
Law.com International's Law Firm of the Year 2021
For 125 years, our firm has focused on and helped successful people, families, entrepreneurs, family businesses, governments and institutions negotiate the wide range of legal issues they face in their business and personal lives. Over time, we have gained valuable insights into the ways wealth can be generated, preserved, deployed and enhanced. We assist our clients in a variety of industry sectors including real estate, manufacturing, motorsport, luxury brands, sport, hotels and hospitality, technology, energy, art and cultural assets, life sciences, charities and philanthropy and financial services. With 18 offices our experience means we can see the global picture. We provide legal advice across a range of different practice areas including estate planning, personal and corporate tax and, corporate, banking and finance, access to capital (both private and public) both equity and debt, real estate, intellectual property, immigration, international trust structuring, philanthropy, luxury assets, international probate, public international law and international arbitration.
COVID – 19 Vaccination Policy
Withers Bergman LLP requires all new hires to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Reasonable accommodation(s) based on medical or religious grounds will be provided to qualified candidates. Candidates will be required to verify their vaccination status only after a conditional offer of employment is made. Applicants should not provide information about their vaccination status or need for accommodation prior to receiving a conditional offer of employment
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
Withers Bergman LLP is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Equal employment opportunity has been and will continue to be a fundamental principle at the firm. Employment at the firm is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. The firm prohibits and will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on the basis of any of these classifications or characteristics.
If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website to apply for a position, please contact the firm at 203 789 1320 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.