The legal secretary position at Withers Bergman LLP is responsible for providing a broad range of secretarial and administrative support to fee-earners, administrative personnel and clients. This role is resident the New Haven office and is assigned to the Private Client and Tax division.
Essential duties and responsibilities
• Drafts short letters and documents; assists the team in consolidation of deliverables, collects and analyses information; periodically may prepare charts, graphs, and other visuals, as needed, and engages with attorneys and clients particularly in relation to client and industry requests for administrative process, client intake, engagement letters, billing clarifications, meeting planning, and general industry engagement.
• Maintains attorneys' calendars, office space when traveling, and meeting planning by making reservations, scheduling conferences, teleconferences, and travel.
• Maintains hard copy and electronic filing system (FileSite/iManage).
• Schedules meetings with internal and external participants, and arranges conference rooms.
• Supports fee-earners and clients by reading, researching, reviewing, verifying, and routing correspondence, reports and legal documents.
• Communicates and obtains information from/for internal and external clients.
• Inputs attorney time into timekeeping software (3E).
• Prepares Chrome River reimbursement reports for assigned fee-earners.
• Coordinates monthly billing process between accounting and assigned partner(s). This includes preparation of draft and final client invoices and transmittal of same.
• Supports the New Client Intake process which includes the conflicts check, matter details and Engagement Letter preparation.
• Operates office equipment including photocopy machine and scanner when needed.
• Maintains confidentiality of client and firm matters.
• Performs other job related duties as assigned.
Key Skills and Experience
1. Must possess strong technical skills, with solid knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint as well as programs such as FileSite/iManage and Elite.
2. Strong communication skills: the ability to express self effectively, both orally and in writing including excellent spelling, grammar, punctuation, form and style. Ability to compose correspondence as needed.
3. Interpersonal skills: the ability to establish effective working relationships with colleagues.
4. Knowledge of library operations and records storage procedures for retrieving materials and files.
5. Familiarity with legal terminology pertinent to the areas of assignment.
6. Ability to prioritize and multitask effectively.
7. Ability to work both as a team as well as independently.
8. California Notary strongly preferred.
Experience and Education Required
• 3+ years as a secretary or administrative assistant in a law firm, with experience in supporting partners in various practice areas; Private Client and Tax experience is a plus.
• This role is hybrid and must be in the office 3 days week.
• Bachelor's Degree preferred.
Law.com International's Law Firm of the Year 2021
For 125 years, our firm has focused on and helped successful people, families, entrepreneurs, family businesses, governments and institutions negotiate the wide range of legal issues they face in their business and personal lives. Over time, we have gained valuable insights into the ways wealth can be generated, preserved, deployed and enhanced. We assist our clients in a variety of industry sectors including real estate, manufacturing, motorsport, luxury brands, sport, hotels and hospitality, technology, energy, art and cultural assets, life sciences, charities and philanthropy and financial services. With 18 offices our experience means we can see the global picture. We provide legal advice across a range of different practice areas including estate planning, personal and corporate tax and, corporate, banking and finance, access to capital (both private and public) both equity and debt, real estate, intellectual property, immigration, international trust structuring, philanthropy, luxury assets, international probate, public international law and international arbitration.
COVID – 19 Vaccination Policy
Withers Bergman LLP requires all new hires to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Reasonable accommodation(s) based on medical or religious grounds will be provided to qualified candidates. Candidates will be required to verify their vaccination status only after a conditional offer of employment is made. Applicants should not provide information about their vaccination status or need for accommodation prior to receiving a conditional offer of employment.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
Withers Bergman LLP is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Equal employment opportunity has been and will continue to be a fundamental principle at the firm. Employment at the firm is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. The firm prohibits and will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on the basis of any of these classifications or characteristics.
If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website to apply for a position, please contact the firm at 203 789 1320 or email email@example.com with your request. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.