Employment Associate (Mid-Level)
Permanent - Full Time
Business - Corporate
Law.com International's Law Firm of the Year 2021
For 125 years, our firm has focused on and helped successful people, families, entrepreneurs, family businesses, governments and institutions negotiate the wide range of legal issues they face in their business and personal lives. Over time, we have gained valuable insights into the ways wealth can be generated, preserved, deployed and enhanced. We assist our clients in a variety of industry sectors including real estate, manufacturing, motorsport, luxury brands, sport, hotels and hospitality, technology, energy, art and cultural assets, life sciences, charities and philanthropy and financial services. With 18 offices our experience means we can see the global picture. We provide legal advice across a range of different practice areas including estate planning, personal and corporate tax and, corporate, banking and finance, access to capital (both private and public) both equity and debt, real estate, intellectual property, immigration, international trust structuring, philanthropy, luxury assets, international probate, public international law and international arbitration.
Our Commercial, Charities and Real Estate practices are recognized for the ground-breaking work they do. Our lawyers are highly rated by both Chambers and Legal 500 in a number of other areas such as mergers and acquisitions, brands, intellectual property, hotels, investment funds, sponsorship and partnerships. As a leader in advising successful people around the world we understand the unique issues surrounding private capital. This can range from investment, structuring and control of cross-border investments to the corporate and personal tax issues created.
We are building a diverse employment practice in San Francisco. Our California employment team works closely with founders, CEOs and other executives as they build their careers. We are in the process of developing and scaling this practice nationally and globally. In addition to working with some of the brightest, most innovative entrepreneurs in the world, we work with start-ups, businesses and others on the full range of issues that arise during the employee life-cycle. Our practice serves local, national and international interests and works closely with other teams within our firm to provide full-service representation.
This is an opportunity for you to play a key role and get in on the ground floor as we build this exciting practice. This is the ideal opportunity if you are someone who has gained masterful skills counseling companies in the area of Executive Compensation and/or Employment Law Counseling and you are ready to leverage those skills working directly with the top leaders in Silicon Valley and New York.
Our employment team is a close-knit, dynamic group who work closely together to deliver exemplary legal services. Our employment Partners have deep experience working with executives and other employees, as well as employers on a wide range of issues. We have a strong focus on mentoring and training associates and believe the best teams are those who value all opinions and focus on growing together. If you aren’t afraid of a challenge, want to be part of a supportive team with colleagues who are interesting and fun, this is the perfect position for you. Our San Francisco office is building a culture that more closely resembles an agile startup rather than a law firm and has a working environment that reflects that approach.
If you do not have experience representing founders or executives personally that is not required. What is most important is that you have a passion for counseling clients and a strong background in employment law counseling relating to executive agreements, management through all stages of the employee life-cycle, and an ability to work with a diverse client base. This is an ideal opportunity for an employment lawyer who wants to build a career in counseling as opposed to litigation. This is also an opportunity for you, should you wish to do so, to leverage your employment law expertise advising companies by building a nationwide counseling practice for our clients and working with our international employment lawyers.
We are confident you will find it a personally rewarding practice and we look forward to mentoring you in this practice area.
Clients from every walk of life
Our clients have achieved success in many fields, from senior executives to multi-generational families, owners, managers and investors in private capital and some of the world’s wealthiest people. In Europe we have represented 70% of The Sunday Times top 100 Rich List and in Asia we act for 35% of the Hong Kong Forbes Rich List. We act not just as private client lawyers but trusted advisers, looking to build strong relationships with you and with other professionals advising you. This is one of the reasons we are proud to have been asked to represent families down the generations. Our mission: To be recognized as the top, and only truly global, law firm offering integrated domestic and international private client and tax advice.
• 4 – 6 years of relevant experience in a law firm's Executive Compensation or Employment Law group.
• Exceptional client service: When we represent individuals as opposed to corporate clients, we are sensitive that we are advising our clients on some of the most important issues in their lives. When working with start-ups and personal staff, we understand that our advice can make the difference between success or failure and can alleviate worry and stress as entrepreneurs create the next big thing. Either way, we love being in this role and being viewed as the trusted advisor.
• Grace under pressure: We have a fast-paced practice and enjoy helping our clients who are often under time pressure.
• Extensive experience drafting and negotiating employment agreements, separation agreements and standard employment documents.
• Strong project management skills; ability to balance a large number of competing priorities
• Attention to detail
• Team Player
Key Skills and Experience
• Admitted to and in good standing with the California Bar
• Strong Academic Credentials
• Drafting and negotiating employment agreements and separation agreements on behalf of executives and employers. You are awesome at this, revel in the details of contract drafting, love talking about Cause and Good Reason and comfortable negotiating employment agreements from start to finish.
• Representing all types of executives in employment negotiations including early-stage founders, CEOs and other executives, private equity executives, venture partners and advisors/consultants.
• Drafting and negotiating bonus plans, commission plans and other types of compensation arrangements.
• Conducting investigations into workplace misconduct.
• Crisis management for employees and executives as they navigate situations involving misconduct, harassment, discrimination or other career challenges.
• Advising employers on best practices and helping them become a more diverse, inclusive workplace.
• Navigating leave laws, employee discipline and other common scenarios that arise during all stages of the employment cycle with fairness for all.
• Assisting high net worth individuals with the hiring and management of their personal and household staff.
COVID – 19 Vaccination Requirement
Withers Bergman LLP requires all new hires to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Reasonable accommodation(s) based on medical or religious grounds will be provided to qualified candidates. Candidates will be required to verify their vaccination status only after a conditional offer of employment is made. Applicants should not provide information about their vaccination status or need for accommodation prior to receiving a conditional offer of employment.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
The firm is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Equal employment opportunity has been and will continue to be a fundamental principle at the firm. Employment at the firm is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. The firm prohibits and will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on the basis of any of these classifications or characteristics.
If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website to apply for a position, please contact the firm at 203 789 1320 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.