Paralegal (Private Client and Tax)
Permanent - Full Time
Private Client and Tax
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for 125 years. We advise clients on the full range of their business, personal and philanthropic legal needs, both at home and abroad. With offices in the key financial centres of Europe, Asia-Pacific, the United States and the Caribbean, we provide coverage and services that other law firms focussed on the needs of the individual cannot. We have represented 66% of the Top 100 in The Sunday Times Rich List, 25% of the Forbes 400 List, 35% of the Hong Kong Forbes Rich List and 35% of Forbes Asia's Richest Families list.
Private Client and Tax division
Today, we are the only global law firm dedicated to the personal and private capital needs of high-net-worth individuals and families.
Many of our clients are international families with interests in a number of locations. In a fast-moving and increasingly compliance focused world, the need for integrated advice that reaches across borders has never been greater. With offices across Europe, the United States and Asia-Pacific we provide coverage that other law firms in this area cannot match. Our team of experienced private client solicitors continually look for opportunities to ensure we have a strong presence in the locations where our clients live, work and invest.
Our advice to fiduciaries covers the design and implementation of new plans, as well as the modernization and consolidation of older trusts. We also assist them in complying with the complex rules surrounding investments, accounting, taxes and compliance.
Our global private client & tax team is the largest private client legal practice in the world with around 300 fee earners, in 16 of our 18 offices and revenues near $150m. Private client work is at the heart of what we do as a firm, and is the firm's largest division, with revenues accounting for roughly 43% of the firm's total revenues. We advise on domestic and international tax, estate planning, succession and mental capacity laws in Europe, the US and Asia, as well as facilitating our client's philanthropic endeavours. We have immigration teams in the major financial centres and are well placed to deal with tax investigation and litigation cases. Real estate is very important to our clients, and we have a specialist residential and rural team.
We are looking for a highly experienced, and competent self-starter who can work well under limited supervision and who has a knack for both identifying areas requiring improvement or presenting opportunities for improved efficiency, and who can see through the implementation of the required solutions. This role is to work principally with one of our European Regional Divisional Leaders (RDLs) for the private client and tax division based in London. This is a split role which will involve a high level of organisation, project management and administration, together with client work to ensure work is completed in a timely and efficient manner and high levels of client service delivery are achieved.
You will be providing key support for the RDL in his busy practice and will work with a broad range of clients (including trustees, administrators, banks, and beneficiaries) in relation to a range of private client related legal matters. Succession planning for international families is a key part of this role, and you will assist with implementing estate-planning arrangements for individuals. The work will involve a mix of domestic UK and international matters.
Not only will the role involve drafting of documents and legal research, but there will also be a high degree of project management – following up actions with others, checking on progress and time management to ensure work is delivered on time and to a very high standard. To achieve this the role will involve managing the inbox of the RDL, flagging items for follow up, delegating and working with the RDL's secretary as appropriate to ensure consistently high levels of client care. Working with the RDL, you will identify opportunities and design/implement solutions for improvement to financial performance, ways of working and client service (either through financial analysis, observational or solicited feedback).
Key elements of the role include but not limited to:
- Legal research
- Extensive diary management – regularly reviewing with the RDL upcoming meetings, suggesting actions, preparing materials ahead of time.
- Attending client meetings – taking notes, coordinating actions and following up to ensure tasks are completed.
- Organising meetings, managing e-mail inbox, diary management etc.
- Catching up regularly with the RDL, extracting actions, following up on tasks yet to be completed, offering support where needed.
- Issue spotting – identifying areas for process improvements
- Preparing first drafts of Terms of Engagement letters; using electronic file opening, ensuring anti-money laundering requirements are adhered to and requesting the necessary Know Your Client documentation
- Document management, review and analysis
- Assisting in preparing pitches and tenders and in aspects of business development
- Assisting with client events
- Preparing draft documents including wills, powers of attorneys and trust deeds
- Producing accurate, high-quality work quickly and efficiently, using the firm's software packages and document management systems
- Providing effective and proactive communication with clients, legal staff and other support staff
- Ensuring follow-up meetings are scheduled in a timely manner
- Resolving accounting queries and producing monthly bills using Elite 3E (finance and time recording system)
- General administrative duties
Key skills and experience
- Excellent organisation skills
- Passionate and enthusiastic about providing exceptional client service
- Previous experience working as a Paralegal (or in a similar role) is desirable
- An ability to work with others and demonstrating high levels of perseverance, gravitas and persuasiveness to keep projects on track
- An inquisitive nature and desire to make process improvements
- Ability to acquire new skills and to understand sophisticated concepts
- The integrity to handle highly confidential information appropriately
- Technically competent in Word, PowerPoint and Excel etc.
- Flexible and can-do attitude and approach
- Strong research skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and stay calm under pressure
- Financial aptitude (for billing)
- Strong academics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 9.30am – 5.30pm but flexibility is a must
- 12-week probation period
- Four weeks' notice period
- Flexible benefit package
- A willingness to attend the office on most days to ensure a high degree of overlap with the RDL who tends to only work from home on a Tuesday.
For further information, please contact the recruitment team.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
We endeavour to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, we operate a preferred supplier list ('PSL') and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is our policy to provide equal opportunities for all employees/prospective employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.