Permanent - Full Time
What are we looking for?
We are looking to recruit a professional and forward- thinking legal secretary with a high level of discretion to provide support to the Partners and Associates in the Trusts, Estates and Inheritance Disputes (TEID) team which forms part of the Dispute Resolution Division. This is an exciting role for a good communicator with a high level of interpersonal skills required to liaise with people across all our offices, clients and contacts.
Our TEID team is dedicated exclusively to disputes over trusts and succession and advice on a vast range of probate issues: defending legacy entitlement in the face of a wide variety of challenges. The team handle both 'internal' and 'external' claims challenging the validity of a trust excelling in complex international issues.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, be very organised and accurate with excellent attention to detail and the ability to use their initiative and exercise judgement in challenging situations. The role will at times be demanding and fast paced so you will need to be an efficient worker who is extremely flexible, can prioritise, multi-task and remain calm under pressure. Our secretaries typically support partners and several other lawyers and are relied upon to provide a high level service to both internal and external clients.
This role would be ideal for a candidate who is passionate about inspiring confidence and building relationships with colleagues and clients.
Skills and attributes
- Excellent communication skills and high levels of interpersonal skills
- Passionate and enthusiastic about providing exceptional client service
- The integrity to handle highly confidential information appropriately
- Self-motivated and goal focussed, you will enjoy change and variety and thrive under pressure
- Familiarity with technology eg Excel, Word, technically competent
- Enjoy being a team player with a flexible and can-do attitude and approach
- Financial aptitude (for billing and disbursements)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Areas of focus and responsibilities
- You will provide effective communication support to the partners, consultants and fee-earners you work with, and of course their clients
- Travel arrangements, including producing detailed itineraries and anticipating any additional requirements.
- Dealing with confidential issues in a responsible way.
- Extensive and often complex diary management, coordinating meetings to best utilise time, managing diary conflicts and preparing any necessary documentation in advance.
- Provide effective mailbox management and maintenance of all electronic mail, including flagging up of any mail or issues that need attention and on occasion responding to email correspondence.
- Ensuring documents and emails are e-filed appropriately and in line with the firm's e-filing policy and naming conventions.
- In conjunction with other secretarial staff and our marketing department, you will assist in keeping InterAction (our client relationship management system) up to date, and produce reports as and when required
- You will assist with organising events, seminars and other BD initiatives
- During our monthly billing time you will assist with the production of bills using our finance and time recording systems, communicating with the legal and support staff to ensure billing is carried out within the set deadlines.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content and requirements for the performance of this job and, as such, the role may include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
Qualifications required and experience in sector
Excellent academic background, educated to graduate level or has equivalent professional experience. You will have a fast typing speed (65 words per minute) and will have developed advanced IT skills. Ideally you will have worked in a similar legal environment for a few years, with the ability to use your initiative to pick up unfamiliar work quickly and be proactive.
- 9.30 – 5.30pm but flexibility is a must
- 12 week probation period
- 4 week notice period
- Based in the London office
- Flexible benefits package including pension, private medical, season ticket loan, subsidised gym memberships, lifestyle discount scheme, on site café plus more
Withersworldwide have been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for over 100 years. We advise clients on their business and personal legal needs both at home and abroad. In this fast moving and increasingly regulated world the need for integrated and timely advice has never been more urgent.
We are recognised as the only international law firm for successful people, their families, their businesses and their philanthropic work. With offices in Europe, Asia, the United States and the Caribbean we provide coverage that other law firms focussed on the individual cannot. We continually look for opportunities to ensure we are based in the same locations as our clients and their wealth. We have represented 51% of the Top-100 ‘Sunday Times Rich List’, as well as a significant number of people listed in the US (Forbes) and Asian (Hurun) Rich Lists.
The firm consists of three global legal Divisions: Business; Dispute Resolution and Private Client & Tax. Each Division is headed by a Divisional CEO and Divisional Operating Officer. There is also an overarching CEO of the global firm.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
Withersworldwide endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, Withersworldwide operates a preferred supplier list and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withersworldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.