Associate (Banking and Real Estate)
Permanent - Full Time
Business - Banking and Finance
About Withers KhattarWong LLP
Withersworldwide, a leading international law firm has been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for 125 years. We advise clients on the full range of their business, personal and philanthropic legal needs, both at home and abroad. With offices in the key financial centres of Europe, Asia-Pacific, the United States and the Caribbean, we provide coverage and services that other law firms focussed on the needs of the individual cannot. We have represented 66% of the Top 100 in The Sunday Times Rich List, 25% of the Forbes 400 List, 35% of the Hong Kong Forbes Rich List and 35% of Forbes Asia's Richest Families list.
Withers KhattarWong LLP, the Singapore office of Withersworldwide, is itself one of Singapore's longest established and largest full-service leading law firms. Our Singapore-based lawyers advise on Singapore law matters, and combine this with English and US law capability, where needed, to service our clients on cross-border regional and international matters. We work closely with our Hong Kong and Tokyo offices to cover the region.
Our Singapore Banking and Real Estate practice are ranked amongst Singapore's best in current market surveys and leading legal journals. Our fused Banking and Real Estate practice in Singapore means that we are well-positioned to advise clients on both the acquisition and financing aspects of some of the largest and most complex real estate transactions in the market. Working closely with our market-leading Private Client and Tax practice, we advise some of the most prominent successful people in the world.
What are we looking for?
We are looking to hire a junior to mid-level Singapore-qualified Associate to join our Banking and Real Estate team in our Singapore office.
This is a unique opportunity for a motivated lawyer who is keen on challenging transactional and advisory work in a collegiate and highly regarded team within a leading international firm.
The ideal candidate should have a curious mind, be passionate about problem-solving and enthusiastic about developing solid practice skills and client relationships in banking and real estate practice.
Mid-level candidates will preferably have had experience working in either:
(a) a well-established transactional corporate real estate (CRE) team and have experience with corporate real estate work across the commercial, industrial and residential property sectors in Singapore, , and keen on developing skills in transactional banking practice; or
(b) a solid transactional banking and finance practice, with experience working on a variety of banking and finance transactions (including real estate finance), be familiar with market standard legal documentation, and keen on developing real estate transaction skills.
The candidate can expect frequent exposure to real estate and banking and finance transactions across a variety of industry sectors, both on a domestic and cross-border basis, and with an array of corporate and private clients.
The role will at times be demanding and fast paced so you will need to be efficient and task-focused, committed to excellence and client service, and can prioritise, multi-task and remain calm under pressure.
Areas of focus and responsibilities
We service a very broad client base on real estate and financing transactions and advisory, and they include major property developers, building owners, property fund investors, SMEs and multinationals, major international and local banks and financial institutions, governmental organisations and statutory boards as well as collective sale committees. We also serve an exceptional client base of ultra-high net worth individuals, entrepreneurs and their families, family offices, trustees, businesses and philanthropic endeavours, both locally and internationally.
The role will involve:
- General banking and finance transactions involving bilateral as well as club and syndicated loan facilities on a secured and unsecured basis, acting for both lenders as well as borrowers across a wide range of sectors including asset finance, structured finance, acquisition finance and project finance
- Real estate financing transactions, including land and construction loans, development loans, enbloc acquisition financing and mortgage-backed credit facilities
- corporate real estate transactions comprising property acquisitions, disposals, sale and leaseback, commercial and residential development projects and indirect investments involving joint ventures or property holding company interests (often working alongside both our Corporate/M&A and Funds practice teams, and at times with our other APAC offices on cross-border deals)
- commercial leasing work (acting for building owner landlords, as well as advising major tenants in lease negotiations)
- Property regulatory advice
- Private client property, and property financing transactions and advisory
Key skills and experience
- Singapore qualified with between 0 - 4 years post qualification experience
- For mid-level candidates, corporate real estate and/or banking and finance transactional experience gained in an established Singapore law firm would be a distinct advantage.
- 2022 newly qualified lawyers with an enthusiasm to train with a highly -rated banking and real estate practice are invited to apply
- Be able to work as part of a cross-departmental team and also with colleagues from other offices in the Withersworldwide network
- Commitment to technical excellence and delivering excellent client service
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent research skills
- Keen commercial awareness
- Keen interest in the real estate sector
- Be able to work as part of a team and under pressure
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content of, and requirements for the performance of this job, and as such, the role may also include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
Withersworldwide endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, Withersworldwide operates a preferred supplier list and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withers Worldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.