Permanent - Full Time
Under the general direction of the Assistant Controller, and in accordance with established policies and procedures, the Staff Accountant will work as part of the Finance team. This position is deemed to be hybrid under the Firm's Mobile Working Policy and will be based in the New Haven office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the US Finance team in carrying out monthly, quarterly, annual, and non-routine functions of the accounting department
- Complete daily reconciliation of bank accounts and addresses inquiries with the bank
- Prepare multi-state and local tax filings, such as sales and use tax, commercial rent tax and personal property tax
- Prepare monthly general ledger reconciliations, accruals, and prepaids in accordance with GAAP
- Support monthly, quarterly, and annual financial close processes, ensuring accuracy of reconciliations, accruals, prepaids, and fixed assets in accordance with GAAP
- Track and analyse fixed assets, including calculation and recording of depreciation
- Prepare and post journal entries, such as accruals, prepaids, depreciation, and reclass entries
- Ensure compliance with internal control processes and requirements
- Support payroll function including analysis and response to payroll tax notices
- Perform other general accounting functions as needed, including but not limited to, spreadsheet reporting and analysis, and other ad hoc requests
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
Key Skills and Requirements
- A minimum of three years of related finance experience, preferably in a professional services environment
- Solid understanding of accounting principles in accordance with GAAP
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, advanced Excel skills required
- Experience with using 3E or similar general ledger software
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to influence others
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and able to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Able to work under pressure, adaptable and able to manage multiple priorities with accuracy and efficiency
- A strong team player who is also able to exercise thoughtful independent judgement
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve problems methodically and logically
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance required, Master's Degree in Accounting or Finance preferred
Law.com International's Law Firm of the Year 2021
For 125 years, our firm has focused on and helped successful people, families, entrepreneurs, family businesses, governments and institutions negotiate the wide range of legal issues they face in their business and personal lives. Over time, we have gained valuable insights into the ways wealth can be generated, preserved, deployed and enhanced. We assist our clients in a variety of industry sectors including real estate, manufacturing, motorsport, luxury brands, sport, hotels and hospitality, technology, energy, art and cultural assets, life sciences, charities and philanthropy and financial services. With 18 offices our experience means we can see the global picture. We provide legal advice across a range of different practice areas including estate planning, personal and corporate tax and, corporate, banking and finance, access to capital (both private and public) both equity and debt, real estate, intellectual property, immigration, international trust structuring, philanthropy, luxury assets, international probate, public international law and international arbitration.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
Withers Bergman LLP is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Equal employment opportunity has been and will continue to be a fundamental principle at the firm. Employment at the firm is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. The firm prohibits and will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on the basis of any of these classifications or characteristics.
If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website to apply for a position, please contact the firm at 203 789 1320 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.