Tax Controversy and Compliance Associate
Permanent - Full Time
Private Client and Tax
Law.com International's Law Firm of the Year 2021
For 125 years, our firm has focused on and helped successful people, families, entrepreneurs, family businesses, governments and institutions negotiate the wide range of legal issues they face in their business and personal lives. Over time, we have gained valuable insights into the ways wealth can be generated, preserved, deployed and enhanced. We assist our clients in a variety of industry sectors including real estate, manufacturing, motorsport, luxury brands, sport, hotels and hospitality, technology, energy, art and cultural assets, life sciences, charities and philanthropy and financial services. With 18 offices our experience means we can see the global picture. We provide legal advice across a range of different practice areas including estate planning, personal and corporate tax and, corporate, banking and finance, access to capital (both private and public) both equity and debt, real estate, intellectual property, immigration, international trust structuring, philanthropy, luxury assets, international probate, public international law and international arbitration.
Private Client and Tax Division
Today, we are the only truly global law firm dedicated to the personal and private capital needs of high net worth individuals and families.
Many of our clients are international families with interests in a number of locations. In a fast-moving and increasingly compliance focused world, the need for integrated advice that reaches across borders has never been greater. With offices across Europe, the United States and Asia-Pacific we provide coverage that other law firms in this area cannot match. Our team of experienced private client solicitors continually look for opportunities to ensure we have a strong presence in the locations where our clients live, work and invest.
Our advice to fiduciaries covers the design and implementation of new plans, as well as the modernization and consolidation of older trusts. We also assist them in complying with the complex rules surrounding investments, accounting, taxes and compliance.
This practice generates approximately 55% of the partnership's revenues and is the largest in the world with over 300 people. We advise on domestic and international tax, estate planning, succession and mental capacity laws in Europe, the US and Asia, as well as facilitating our client's philanthropic endeavors. We have immigration teams in the major financial centers and are well placed to deal with tax investigation and litigation cases.
Clients from every walk of life
Our clients have achieved success in many fields, from senior executives of tech companies and venture capital executives to multi-generational families, owners, managers and investors in private capital and some of the world’s wealthiest people. In Europe we have represented 70% of The Sunday Times top 100 Rich List and in Asia we act for 35% of the Hong Kong Forbes Rich List. We act not just as private client lawyers but trusted advisers, looking to build strong relationships with you and with other professionals advising you. This is one of the reasons we are proud to have been asked to represent families down the generations. Our mission: To be recognized as the top, and only truly global, law firm offering integrated domestic and international private client and tax advice.
The private client team is ranked top in our offices around the world by the leading legal directories and have won and been shortlisted for a number of well recognized awards over the years
The focus of this role will be representing clients in federal and state tax controversies, including tax examinations, appeals, and, most commonly, streamlined and voluntary disclosure cases.
Key Skills and Experience
- Qualified Lawyer (minimum 2-6 years' experience with either a law or CPA firm, no maximum)
- Strong research, drafting, analytical, and communication skills
- Strong project management ability; ability to balance a large number of competing priorities
- Demonstrable tax controversy experience, e.g., clerkship with Tax Court, prior work experience for or with a law or CPA firm or government agency in a civil or criminal tax capacity, or prior course work; International tax experience a plus
- Experience reviewing federal and state income tax returns, including international informational reporting forms, as well as associated documentation, e.g., bank and investment account statements
- Ability to interpret tax laws, and help resolve clients tax issues related to their individual, entity, trusts & estates, domestic and international tax matters
- Capability to prepare written responses to governmental authorities
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build rapport with IRS agents and other governmental personnel and favorably settle client tax matters.
- Aptitude with Microsoft Excel and the ability to calculate and project penalty assessments
- Experience with Internal Revenue Service matters
- Attention to detail
- Strong academic credentials (JD required; LLM, CPA, MS Tax would be a plus)
- Admitted in CT (or other state and willing to take/waive into the CT Bar)
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
The firm is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Equal employment opportunity has been and
will continue to be a fundamental principle at the firm. Employment at the firm is based upon personal
capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national
origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical
condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other
characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. The firm prohibits and will not tolerate any
discrimination or harassment on the basis of any of these classifications or characteristics.
If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to
use our website to apply for a position, please contact the firm at 203 789 1320 or email
email@example.com with your request. Determinations on requests for reasonable
accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.