Solicitor Apprentice 2023 (London)
Fixed Term - Full Time
A law firm focused on people and collaboration. For the past 125 years, Withers has supported some of the world's most remarkable people and organisations at defining moments in their lives. We are the only international law firm focused on successful individuals and private capital, working closely with founders, investors and family offices. We also advise governments, charities, global brands and start-ups of all shapes and sizes. Many of our clients are shaping the future and creating solutions to tackle many of the world's problems. It makes for a fascinating and challenging practice. Our role is to get to know each individual client, find out where they want to be, and help them to get there – whether they are building a business, looking after their family, involved in a complex dispute or protecting their finances for the future. To meet their unique needs we are exceptionally collaborative, working together across teams and time zones. We are agile, focusing on strategy rather than rigid ideas and traditional hierarchy. It is a truly flexible working culture that puts people first. Join us to be part of a team that is always looking to the future. Where initiative, big ideas and bold moves are always encouraged. Where you can truly be yourself.
What are we looking for?
We are looking to recruit professional and hard-working candidates to join us as Solicitor Apprentices. This role would suit individuals who are passionate about inspiring confidence and building relationships with colleagues and clients. It will, at times, be demanding and fast paced so you will need to be an efficient and detail-oriented person who can prioritise, multi-task and remain calm under pressure.
The role will involve supporting the operational functioning of the firm whilst learning and developing the key skills and experience required for a solicitor. Our Solicitor Apprentices will be involved in many of the day-to-day tasks of a Trainee Solicitor whilst rotating amongst different practice groups.
Throughout the six-year programme you will take exams and assessments to meet the requirements of the LLB degree in Legal Practice and Skills and Solicitors Qualifying Exam. The apprenticeship will include one day per week allocated to study at the University of Law. All university fees will be funded by the firm.
- Conducting legal research.
- Drafting and proofreading correspondence, including compiling attendance notes and letter writing.
- Liaising with clients and responding to telephone queries.
- Updating the firm’s client relationship management database, Interaction, with any client related activity.
- Document management.
- Assisting in all aspects of file management and client care.
- Collating relevant documents and entering details using the firm’s Client Matter Inception system.
- Completing file closure forms.
- General office administration - data input, initiation of conflict checks, and general office duties as required including photocopying and collating bundles.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content of, and requirements for the performance of this job, and as such, the role may also include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
Qualifications and experience required
- The scheme is open to candidates who do not already have a degree or who haven’t already completed an apprenticeship up to level 7.
- Educated to A level standard (or equivalent) at Grades ABB or above.
- 8 GCSEs at A* - C grades including English and Maths.
Skills and attributes
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, demonstrating an ability to communicate with colleagues at all levels.
- A positive, enthusiastic, and proactive approach to work.
- Effective personal organisational and time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple demands.
- The ability to work to tight timescales with a sense of urgency.
- Common sense, commerciality and the ability to work using own initiative.
- Proven team working skills.
- Flexibility, a willingness to learn on the job and to participate in learning and development. opportunities to increase your skills.
- Computer literate.
For further information, please contact the recruitment team.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
Withersworldwide endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, Withersworldwide operates a preferred supplier list and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withersworldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.