Trust & Estates Associate (Mid/Senior-Level)
Permanent - Full Time
Private Client and Tax
Law.com International's Law Firm of the Year 2021
For 125 years, our firm has focused on and helped successful people, families, entrepreneurs, family businesses, governments and institutions negotiate the wide range of legal issues they face in their business and personal lives. Over time, we have gained valuable insights into the ways wealth can be generated, preserved, deployed and enhanced. We assist our clients in a variety of industry sectors including real estate, manufacturing, motorsport, luxury brands, sport, hotels and hospitality, technology, energy, art and cultural assets, life sciences, charities and philanthropy and financial services. With 18 offices our experience means we can see the global picture. We provide legal advice across a range of different practice areas including estate planning, personal and corporate tax and, corporate, banking and finance, access to capital (both private and public) both equity and debt, real estate, intellectual property, immigration, international trust structuring, philanthropy, luxury assets, international probate, public international law and international arbitration.
Private Client and Tax Division
Today, we are the only truly global law firm dedicated to the personal and private capital needs of high net worth individuals and families.
Many of our clients are international families with interests in a number of locations. In a fast-moving and increasingly compliance focused world, the need for integrated advice that reaches across borders has never been greater. With offices across Europe, the United States and Asia-Pacific we provide coverage that other law firms in this area cannot match. Our team of experienced private client solicitors continually look for opportunities to ensure we have a strong presence in the locations where our clients live, work and invest.
Our advice to fiduciaries covers the design and implementation of new plans, as well as the modernization and consolidation of older trusts. We also assist them in complying with the complex rules surrounding investments, accounting, taxes and compliance.
This practice generates approximately 55% of the partnership's revenues and is the largest in the world with over 300 people. We advise on domestic and international tax, estate planning, succession and mental capacity laws in Europe, the US and Asia, as well as facilitating our client's philanthropic endeavors. We have immigration teams in the major financial centers and are well placed to deal with tax investigation and litigation cases. Real estate is very important to our clients, and we have a specialist residential and rural team.
Clients from every walk of life
Our clients have achieved success in many fields, from senior executives of tech companies and venture capital executives to multi-generational families, owners, managers and investors in private capital and some of the world’s wealthiest people. In Europe we have represented 70% of The Sunday Times top 100 Rich List and in Asia we act for 35% of the Hong Kong Forbes Rich List. We act not just as private client lawyers but trusted advisers, looking to build strong relationships with you and with other professionals advising you. This is one of the reasons we are proud to have been asked to represent families down the generations. Our mission: To be recognized as the top, and only truly global, law firm offering integrated domestic and international private client and tax advice.
The private client team is ranked top in our offices around the world by the leading legal directories and have won and been shortlisted for a number of well recognized awards over the years.
The Los Angeles office of Withers Bergman LLP is seeking a dynamic, self-starting estate and trust attorney with a vision, initiative and demonstrated commitment to guiding clients through wealth transitions with estate planning that is clear, creative and enduring. Annual compensation commensurate with experience and ranging from $190,000 - $300,000.
Key Skills and Experience
- Has a minimum of 3+ years practicing in a law firm Trusts & Estates group
- Is admitted to and in good standing with the California Bar
- Is highly skilled in foundational (revocable) estate planning for clients and immediately able to expertly handle this planning from start to finish including the initial interview, plan design and drafting, review and discussion with the client, execution, and follow up
- Has proven ability to stay on top of a busy practice – including time recording, proactive deadline and matter management, and taking ownership of assigned projects – and doesn’t require supervision in these areas
- Is energized by participating on a dynamic team and demonstrates a genuine interest in contributing to the team’s success as a whole, including through mentorship of junior team members and development and refinement of team processes
- Inspires the confidence of clients, intermediaries and referral sources (internal and external) who trust that they are in good hands
- Can independently run a post-mortem trust administration, expertly advising fiduciaries to keep them ahead of milestones, avoiding pitfalls and surprises, and efficiently shepherding distribution to assets to beneficiaries
- Is highly resourceful, composed and empathetic
- Possesses solid gift, estate and generation-skipping transfer (GST) tax skills, and is ready to:
- engage with ultra-high net worth clients to design and implement complex estate freeze and charitable planning with technical precision
- prepare and review estate and gift tax returns
- Takes a practical approach to solving client problems, and is nimble in employing tools to implement these solutions
- Never stops learning and seeking to develop skills, knowledge and understanding to better serve clients
- Has a stellar reputation and is ready to contribute to growing the reputation and brand of Withers Bergman LLP as the law firm for successful people through activities such as bar service, speaking and writing, and community engagement
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
The firm is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Equal employment opportunity has been and will continue to be a fundamental principle at the firm. Employment at the firm is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. The firm prohibits and will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on the basis of any of these classifications or characteristics.
If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website to apply for a position, please contact the firm at (310) 277-9930 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.