IP Associate - Life Sciences
Permanent - Full Time
Business - Intellectual Property
Law.com International's Law Firm of the Year 2021
For 125 years, our firm has focused on helping successful people, businesses, families, entrepreneurs, governments, and institutions negotiate the wide range of legal issues they face. Over time, we have gained valuable insights into the ways wealth can be generated, preserved, deployed and enhanced. We assist our clients in a variety of industry sectors including life sciences, technology, real estate, manufacturing, fashion, brands and creatives, sport, hotels and hospitality, energy, art and cultural assets, charities and philanthropy and financial services. With 18 offices, our experience means we see the global picture. We provide legal advice across a range of different practice areas including corporate, venture, finance, tax, intellectual property, banking, access to capital (both private and public), immigration, international trust structuring, philanthropy, public international law and international arbitration.
About Withers Intellectual Property Practice
The Withers Intellectual Property team in is truly global. We focus on all areas of life science and technology, brands, and fashion. Our team focuses on growth and value creation throughout a company's life cycle. We have decades of experience creating, implementing, and monetizing intellectual property strategies. Our team includes former in-house counsels, inventors, and investors in global biotech. As a global firm, we are able to assist in the holistic growth of our companies, including transatlantic venture capital, cross-border M&A and access to growth capital. We are now looking to hire ambitious candidates to help grow our intellectual property focused legal practice on a national and international basis.
At Withers we offer our associates unprecedented opportunities to grow and prosper in a truly international law firm. From day one, we provide training and client-facing opportunities that will prepare you to represent and manage complex client relationships. We provide you with the tools you need to be a successful entrepreneurial partner. You will not simply be another cog in the machine; but rather an integral part of a growing and vibrant practice. We love what we do and we have a lot of fun doing it. We welcome you to reach out to us to learn more about our team.
Candidates should have a patent registration number or be eligible to sit for the Patent Office exam. Experience in the life sciences space is a plus. Candidates should be comfortable with a range of technologies in the biotech/life science space and an eagerness to learn in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
Key Skills and Experience
- Admitted to and in good standing in at least one U.S. jurisdiction
- PTO Registration No. or eligibility to obtain one
- Technical degree in the life sciences (biology, chemistry, biomedical engineering) preferred but we will consider candidates with other degrees who have an understanding of biotechnology. Some of our most-successful candidates have been math and physics majors. General understanding of patent law a plus
- Excellent technical ability and solid drafting skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate and handle client contact (both internal and external) from the outset
- Effective team player - able to work effectively in an established, close-knit team
- An enthusiastic and engaged attitude with excellent people skills and a good, clear communication style
- A willingness to take responsibility and ability to form strong working relationships across all areas of the practice
- A commercial and pragmatic outlook
- Familiarity with technology
- Keen interest in Business Development and helping to maintain and grow client relationships
- A passion for tech and innovation
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
The firm is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Equal employment opportunity has been and will continue to be a fundamental principle at the firm. Employment at the firm is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. The firm prohibits and will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on the basis of any of these classifications or characteristics.
If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website to apply for a position, please contact the firm at email@example.com with your request. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.