Permanent - Full Time
The position will work within our Commercial Litigation practice, assisting attorneys by preparing documents for production, preparing documents for filing in the California courts, filing documents in the California courts, proofreading and cite-checking briefs, drafting discovery, preparing, tracking and responding to subpoenas, organizing and/or maintaining case files, updating and maintaining databases, obtaining information from internal and external sources and performing other administrative tasks. Contacts are normally made with others inside and outside the firm including immediate partners, associates, members of other departments or other offices, clients and court personnel, and other professionals. Contacts are usually made at the supervisor’s request and/or on individual initiative and concern matters requiring explanation, discussion, interpretation or approval. Annual compensation commensurate with experience and ranging from $100,000 - $104,000.
- Organize eDiscovery and document collection and production and create timelines of these documents for attorney review
- Use firm operating systems to calendar relevant litigation and related deadlines for attorneys and firm employees
- Prepare, respond to, coordinate and propound written discovery
- Review and organize documents produced during discovery or otherwise
- Coordinate and communicate discovery and document issues with witnesses and clients
- Prepare case management statements, declarations, and other documentation to be filed with the Court under the supervision of attorneys
- Prepare binders, makes copies, enter data and maintain files, including for court hearings, client or case-related meetings, depositions, and trial
- File documents with the courts; provide judges with courtesy copies of documents.
- Research public records using public websites
- Provide general Internet research including pulling cases for Lexis and Westlaw as needed
- Index files for long-term storage
- Assist with preparing a variety of documents, forms, charts, letters, etc.
- Proofread and ensuring high quality of legal documents
- Perform database research and data entry
- Draft and track authorizations for the release of medical, financial, and/or business records
- Assist other paralegals and attorneys with mailings and filings
- Shepardize and cite-check citations in legal briefs and other filings.
- Provide support during trial as needed
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
- Assist with the general aspects of document productions (redacting, copying, Bates stamping)
- Create and maintain working files for attorneys
Specific Skills Required
- Bachelor's Degree and Paralegal Certificate required
- Minimum 4+ years' experience as a litigation paralegal
- Must possess strong technical skills, including typing, and have an excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, iManage/FileSite and Elite
- Knowledge of Compulaw preferred but not required
- Substantial experience with electronic filing in the Superior Courts in California, especially in Los Angeles Superior Court, including familiarity with the California Rules of Court governing the lodging of documents under seal and the filing of public redacted versions of documents
- Substantial experience with electronic filing in U.S. District Court, especially in the Central and Northern Districts of California, including familiarity with Federal and Local Rules governing the electronic filing of documents under seal and the electronic filing of public redacted versions of documents
- Substantial experience with complex multiple filings and “staging” of documents and exhibits to prepare such filings for attorney approval and electronic filing
- Strong research, drafting, writing and verbal communication skills
- Interpersonal skills – the ability to establish effective working relationships with colleagues
- Solid command of the English language including excellent spelling, grammar, punctuation, form and style
- Knowledge of library operations and records storage procedures for retrieving materials and files
- Familiarity with legal terminology pertinent to the area of assignment
- Enthusiastic, motivated, team player
Law.com International's Law Firm of the Year 2021
For 125 years, our firm has focused on and helped successful people, families, entrepreneurs, family businesses, governments and institutions negotiate the wide range of legal issues they face in their business and personal lives. Over time, we have gained valuable insights into the ways wealth can be generated, preserved, deployed and enhanced. We assist our clients in a variety of industry sectors including real estate, manufacturing, motorsport, luxury brands, sport, hotels and hospitality, technology, energy, art and cultural assets, life sciences, charities and philanthropy and financial services. With 18 offices our experience means we can see the global picture. We provide legal advice across a range of different practice areas including estate planning, personal and corporate tax and, corporate, banking and finance, access to capital (both private and public) both equity and debt, real estate, intellectual property, immigration, international trust structuring, philanthropy, luxury assets, international probate, public international law and international arbitration.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
Withers Bergman LLP is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Equal employment opportunity has been and will continue to be a fundamental principle at the firm. Employment at the firm is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. The firm prohibits and will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on the basis of any of these classifications or characteristics.
If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website to apply for a position, please contact the firm at 203 789 1320 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.