A law firm focused on people and collaboration. For the past 125 years, Withers has supported some of the world's most remarkable people and organisations at defining moments in their lives. We are the only international law firm focused on successful individuals and private capital, working closely with founders, investors and family offices. We also advise governments, charities, global brands and start-ups of all shapes and sizes. Many of our clients are shaping the future and creating solutions to tackle many of the world's problems. It makes for a fascinating and challenging practice. Our role is to get to know each individual client, find out where they want to be, and help them to get there – whether they are building a business, looking after their family, involved in a complex dispute or protecting their finances for the future. To meet their unique needs we are exceptionally collaborative, working together across teams and time zones. We are agile, focusing on strategy rather than rigid ideas and traditional hierarchy. It is a truly flexible working culture that puts people first. Join us to be part of a team that is always looking to the future. Where initiative, big ideas and bold moves are always encouraged. Where you can truly be yourself.
What are we looking for?
This is an entry level role responsible for all billing and New Business Intake ('NBI') tasks for an allocated number of partners and their clients and will be a pipeline to the Client Relationship Specialist role. The role will be client facing and will also work closely with the Finance and Risk & Compliance teams. The role will be categorised as 'Mobile' in line with the firm's Mobile Working policy.
Areas of focus and responsibilities:
- Liaising directly with clients in respect of onboarding requirements and financial aspects of matters including submitting invoices and dealing with queries
- Dealing with the new business intake (NBI) process, ensuring all sections are completed and all relevant information is included, including but not limited to ensuring all relevant parties and appropriate matter descriptions are included before submission.
- Carrying out Client Due Diligence ('CDD') tasks including client and matter risk assessments relating to each new matter, ensuring clients are appropriately vetted, and checks carried out and any requisite approvals sought in line with the firm's policies, controls and procedures.
- Carrying out electronic identity verification checks where necessary to avoid delays, chasing CDD documentation where it has not been obtained, liaising with partners and fee earners to establish source of wealth and funds for completion of the risk based assessment forms and completing the appropriate due diligence and anti-money laundering forms, double checking information to ensure rejections are kept to a minimum.
- Once forms are submitted to the Risk & Compliance team, ensuring that they, together with all associated CDD forms and documentation (and approvals), conflict check emails and matter opening emails are filed in the compliance folders at matter level in iManage.
- On-going monitoring of the CDD process, undertaking regular reviews, reporting discrepancies, and monitoring sanctions compliance.
- Producing the first draft of engagement letters based on the scope of work, for approval and sign off from the fee earners. Pro-actively requesting money on account throughout the matter cycle and using best endeavours to ensure that it is received
- Support the firm's pricing function in the creation and monitoring of matter budgets using the firm's pricing tool.
- Ensuring InterAction is updated during the matter opening process (and ongoing) including telephone numbers and email addresses and any amendments that may be needed to existing entries, ensuring that duplication is avoided. This involves capturing client referral information, collecting and maintaining client relationship data and accessing this data to support fee earners in being able to cater for their clients' needs as well as being able to better report on referral information when looking at commercial conflicts. Working with the marketing team to help fee earners to access client intelligence when undertaking targeted campaigns or events.
- Liaising with fee earners to make sure all time is recorded accurately and in a timely manner, ensuring it is transferred promptly once matters are open as well as recording time entries, when requested.
- Promptly processing third-party costs, liaising with third parties where necessary to ensure all relevant disbursements are billed in the relevant billing month.
- Ensure compliance with the third-party payment process, ensuring approval request forms are completed and any associated documents are obtained prior to submitting the request for approval.
- Proactively initiating the billing process, producing proformas, checking VAT exemptions, charge out rates and currencies are correct, obtaining and following instructions for transfers, write offs and splits of time, processing billing, updating narratives in the practice management system (3E) creating and amending narratives and heads of charge, processing bills and coordinating the timely despatch of invoices to avoid any cash flow bottlenecks. Ensuring that clients are aware of all outstanding invoices previously submitted and any queries clients may have regarding invoices are dealt with, to facilitate the prompt payment of invoices. Updating all relevant bill trackers throughout the billing process.
- Pro-actively working with the fee earners and the Finance team on their accounts receivable workflow requirements on a monthly basis - producing credit notes, ensuring auto-generated statements are not sent to clients inappropriately and on credit control and debt management tasks.
- Assist with the housekeeping of files, checking balances and dealing with residual balances remaining on the client account for allocated matter supervisors on a regular basis to adhere to Solicitor Accounts Rules. Closing completed and inactive matters which have a zero balance in a timely and frequent manner.
- Assisting fee earners who are sending out funds by checking details through 'Lawyer Checker' as required.
- Assisting with tasks to keep up to date with compliance and regulatory firm policies.
- Work effectively with the firm's technology and systems.
- Pro-active and eager in approach to learning and supportive of change within the organisation.
- Keep up to date with latest technologies, including awareness of AI.
- Consistently seek to improve relevant skills using Learning and Development tools available
- This role will be a pipeline to the Client Relationship Specialist role.
Key Performance Indicators
- Contribution to the Group's financial metrics
- Successful matter and client outcomes
- Efficient processes and practices
- Positive client and partner feedback
- Achieve agreed milestones; and
- Positive internal stakeholder feedback
Key skills and experience
- Good academics
- Level 3 Business Admin qualification having previously worked as an apprentice admin assistant at Withers or University Degree
- Strong verbal, collaboration, team working and communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of 3E and the NBI process
- Strong IT skills with the ability to use both existing and new tools and technology
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams)
- A calm nature, with the ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- A professional, willing and proactive approach, with a keen attention to detail and willingness to learn and grow
- 9.30 – 5.30pm (part office and part home based)
- 12 week probationary period
- 4 week notice period
- Benefit package including pension, private medical, Denplan, season ticket loan, subsidised gym memberships, lifestyle discount scheme, on site café plus more
Information for Recruitment Agencies
Withersworldwide endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, Withersworldwide operates a preferred supplier list and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withersworldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race (including colour, nationality and ethnic and national origin), religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.