Job title: Office Manager
Reports to: Global Head of Workplace Strategy, Facilities (based in London)
Location: Hong Kong
A law firm focused on people and collaboration
For the past 125 years, Withers has supported some of the world's most remarkable people and organisations at defining moments in their lives.
We are the only international law firm focused on successful individuals and private capital, working closely with founders, investors and family offices. We also advise governments, charities, global brands and start-ups of all shapes and sizes.
Many of our clients are shaping the future and creating solutions to tackle many of the world's problems. It makes for a fascinating and challenging practice. Our role is to get to know each individual client, find out where they want to be, and help them to get there – whether they are building a business, looking after their family, involved in a complex dispute or protecting their finances for the future.
To meet their unique needs we are exceptionally collaborative, working together across teams and time zones.
We are agile, focusing on strategy rather than rigid ideas and traditional hierarchy. It is a truly flexible working culture that puts people first.
Join us to be part of a team that is always looking to the future. Where initiative, big ideas and bold moves are always encouraged. Where you can truly be yourself.
What are we looking for?
We are now recruiting an Office Manager for our Hong Kong office. Supported by a a Facility Officer, this role will provide operational support to 14 partners as well as approximately 80 staff including fee earners and non-fee earners in the Hong Kong office.
The Office Manager is a 'people-person' and is skilled in managing the day-to-day Operations requirements in Hong Kong. This position suits an experienced Manager with strong people, communication and problem-solving skills, all developed within an international law firm environment.
Areas of focus and responsibilities
- Manage the HK Operations support and secretarial staff, setting clear expectations, ensuring ongoing provision of coaching, identifying training and development needs and manage any performance or employee relations matters (with support from the HR Manager).
- Secretarial management
- Manage secretarial support and cover during periods of absence
- Identifying opportunities for training, workflow efficiencies and support structures
- Oversee general office operations to ensure the smooth running of the office
- Office/space planning
- In collaboration with the Global Head of Workplace Strategy and Logistics based in London, provide on-site support regarding the office lease and renewal as required
- Oversee changes to the layout and functioning of the physical office working with outside vendors as required
- Vendor & supplies management
- primary contact for all external providers, undertaking a review of contracted arrangements
- establish and manage relationships with vendors, monitor vendor performance and negotiate and
- monitor contracts
- process invoices and payments for all office-related expenditure
- Working with a committee, help to plan and manage the office's social activities and initiatives including the annual Christmas party and Spring Dinner events.
- Assist with the annual budgeting process and monitor the HK office budgets/actual spend to ensure the office stays within budget
- Review the HK office's travel and accommodation policy and providers on an annual basis
- Work with London to arrange and renew the Firm’s commercial insurance policies as required.
- Oversee the records management function within the office including the file management process when people leave the firm. Ensure the office is clean and tidy and help to ensure the firm's electronic filing procedures are followed by working with Partners and other people in the office
- Management, delegation and assignment of workflow to the office Administrative Assistant(s)
- Manage the Client Area and Front of house staff to ensure the space is kept clean and tidy and in working order. Ensure the Global Standard Operating Procedures are adhered to, and a high level of client service is given at all times
- Oversee the maintenance of the equipment in the office such as the HVAC system, lighting and infrastructure
- Ensure the health and safety of the people in the office including desk assessments
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant office/ facility management experience within the legal profession or professional services sector
- Highly detailed and methodical approach to data integrity, record keeping and audit information
- High service delivery standards in every respect and the ability to win the confidence and respect of others
- Demonstrable track record of promoting the use of technology to help the office and related procedures run well
- Use of initiative in day-to-day tasks to ensure efficient ways of working with a keen focus on process improvement
- Able to prioritise, adapt to changing deadlines and work under pressure
- Team player with a collaborative approach and working style
- Genuine interest in the development of employees and their engagement within the workplace
- Methodical and flexible approach
- High work standards and detail-oriented
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with internal clients – must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills to build confidence, trust and respect amongst partners and managers
- Strong service orientation with attention to detail
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Organised and driven to achieve efficiency
- Proactive, confident, tenacious, resilient and flexible
- Fluent English language skills and proficiency in Cantonese
Skills and attributes
The Office Manager is experienced in partnering with the business. This is a decision-making role and requires the incumbent to have strong facilitation, influencing and communication-solving skills. This position suits an experienced manager who enjoys working within the business, problem-solving, developing talent as well as bringing forward a collaborative and engaged workforce
- Will be responsible for Office management in the Hong Kong office
- Reporting to Global Head of Workplace Strategy, Facilities. The incumbent will also have key lines of responsibility to the partners in the HK office.
- This is a primarily office-based role, but periodic home working as per the firm's mobile working policy will be allowed
- 21 days annual leave + an annual "Wither's Day"
Information for Recruitment Agencies
WithersWorldwide endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, WithersWorldwide operates a preferred supplier list and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of WithersWorldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.