A law firm focused on people and collaboration. For the past 125 years, Withers has supported some of the world's most remarkable people and organisations at defining moments in their lives. We are the only international law firm focused on successful individuals and private capital, working closely with founders, investors and family offices. We also advise governments, charities, global brands and start-ups of all shapes and sizes. Many of our clients are shaping the future and creating solutions to tackle many of the world's problems. It makes for a fascinating and challenging practice. Our role is to get to know each individual client, find out where they want to be, and help them to get there – whether they are building a business, looking after their family, involved in a complex dispute or protecting their finances for the future. To meet their unique needs we are exceptionally collaborative, working together across teams and time zones. We are agile, focusing on strategy rather than rigid ideas and traditional hierarchy. It is a truly flexible working culture that puts people first. Join us to be part of a team that is always looking to the future. Where initiative, big ideas and bold moves are always encouraged. Where you can truly be yourself.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for a Risk & Compliance Officer on a fixed term basis covering a period of maternity leave within the team. Supporting the UK Senior Risk & Compliance Manager and the Heads of Risk & Compliance in Asia-Pacific and the US, the role will involve providing regular advice on professional conduct, regulatory and compliance issues and ensuring compliance with SRA Standards and Regulations and other relevant legislation. It will also involve assisting in identifying areas of risk inherent in the firm’s practice and ensuring that there are best practice mechanisms and procedures in place to respond to and manage those risks.
The ideal candidate will be willing to go the extra mile, joining a team who are dedicated and committed to supporting the firm in its client-focussed work. We are looking for a candidate who is strong willed – but calm, and who is eager to take responsibility and drive projects forward. You will be an excellent communicator, inquisitive, enthusiastic and willing to work with lawyers and support staff at all levels and in differing jurisdictions.
Areas of focus and responsibilities
- Assisting the Global Risk & Compliance Director and UK Senior Risk & Compliance Manager handle day-to-day queries regarding a broad range of issues including advising on professional responsibilities under the SRA Codes of Conduct, the content of Engagement Letters with clients, reviewing and advising on clients' own terms and conditions and reviewing and advising on the terms of contracts with suppliers and other third parties.
- Working with the UK Senior Risk & Compliance Manager to handle client complaints in accordance with the firm's complaints handling procedure and maintaining the firm's complaints register.
- Assisting with the updating of the firm's Engagement Letters and Terms of Business.
- Monitoring legal and regulatory developments generally and assisting with the review and updating of the firm's Risk & Compliance policies and procedures and practical guidance, in particular ensuring these continue to reflect Law Society best practice as well as regulatory obligations imposed by the SRA Standards and Regulations together and other relevant statutory legislation.
- Assisting with the review of reports of potential Risk and Compliance breaches and reporting on particular trends.
- Working with the Global Risk & Compliance Director and the UK Risk & Compliance team in dealing with the annual renewal of the firm's global professional indemnity insurance and other associated insurance programmes.
- Providing assistance and guidance to the Revenue Control Manager and the firm's Credit Control team in connection with the recovery of outstanding fees where fees charged or the firm's service has been the subject of a complaint.
- Providing assistance to the Global Risk & Compliance Director, Head of Risk & Compliance (Asia-Pacific) and US Head of Risk & Compliance in preparing and rolling out the firm's global annual declarations to all partners and staff globally.
- Ensuring the Risk & Compliance content of the firm's intranet and the legal and regulatory sections of the firm's website remain accurate and up-to-date.
- Providing Risk & Compliance training firm wide and assisting with the preparation of internal bulletins to raise awareness of topical Risk & Compliance issues and best practice.
- Assisting with other Risk and Compliance projects as and when required.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content of, and requirements for the performance of this job, and as such, the role may also include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
Technical skills and experience
- A minimum of 3 years’ risk management experience gained within a legal services environment.
- Legal qualification.
- Educated to degree level.
- Experience of handling complex complaints from clients with minimum supervision.
- Experience of policy drafting/implementation including training desirable.
- Detailed knowledge of SRA Standards and Regulations, in particular, the requirements of the Code of Conduct for Solicitors and Code of Conduct for Firms is essential.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, i.e. clear, firm and diplomatic.
- Strong commercial aptitude with a modern, pro-active approach.
- Ability to effectively manage workload.
- Ability to handle queries efficiently with diplomacy and tact.
- Proven initiative and independent thought.
- Highly PC literate particularly with good Excel and database management experience.
- Excellent attention to detail together with a methodical and organised approach.
- Able to influence and build strong working relationships with internal clients and colleagues in a collaborative and supportive manner.
- The energy and enthusiasm to move projects forward.
- A hands-on approach to problem solving.
- 12 month fixed term contract
- 9.30am to 5.30pm but flexibility is a must
- 12 week probation period
- 4 week notice period
- Flexible benefits package including pension, season ticket loan, subsidised gym memberships, lifestyle discount scheme and more
Information for Recruitment Agencies
Withersworldwide endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, Withersworldwide operates a preferred supplier list and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withersworldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.