The Litigation Paralegal will work within our Dispute Resolution practice, assisting attorneys in all phases of litigation. The ideal candidate is responsible for managing all aspects of both small and large-scale cases, as well as other complex matters, which may include managing large volumes of documents, preparing documents for production, assisting with depositions, managing pleadings, privilege logs and court filings, for both state and federal jurisdictions. Their responsibilities may also include proofreading and legal and factual cite checking of briefs, organizing and/or maintaining electronic and hard copy case files, managing data in litigation support databases, as well as coordination with partners, associates, other paralegals, and in some instances, clients, to obtain relevant case-related information. The role requires great attention to detail, exceptional organizational and communication skills, and overall team collaboration to effectively prioritize and manage multiple cases/projects. The annual base compensation range for this role is $75,000 - $90,000.
Primary Responsibilities and Functions:
- Manage production of hardcopy and electronic documents, including documents and data from clients, processing documents from opposing counsel and third parties, maintaining chain of custody, handling logistics of document productions, and preparing privilege logs
- Maintain case files, including storing hard copy and electronic documents on firmwide dedicated platforms
- Under the supervision of attorneys, assist with the preparation of statements, declarations, and other documents to be filed with the Court
- Prepare briefs and other legal documents for filing, including proofreading, cite checking, compiling exhibits and appendices, formatting documents according to local rules, filing documents, and effectuating service of documents on necessary parties
- Perform factual research, including analysis of documents
- Provide general internet research including pulling cases from Westlaw as needed
- Maintain case calendars and track deadlines; use firm operating systems to calendar relevant deadlines for attorneys and all relevant parties
- Prepare for depositions, conferences, and hearings, including compiling documents, and assist with managing the logistical details
- Provide support for trials, mediations, and arbitrations, including compiling and tracking of the relevant exhibits, preparing documents and evidence for courtroom use, and assisting with other-related logistics concerning team’s needs
- Provide general support across various eDiscovery platforms as needed by team members
- On occasion, travel to various courthouses and other agencies to file, retrieve, and deliver paper copies of documents
Specific Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Paralegal Certificate preferred but not required
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience as a Litigation Paralegal
- Travel and overtime may be necessary
- Must possess strong technical skills and have an excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, iManage/FileSite and Elite
- Knowledge of CS Disco, Casepoint, and eDockets preferred but not required
- Fundamental proficiency in online research and internal resources (Westlaw and equivalents)
- Ability to navigate various electronic databases and document repositories
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills; strong attention to detail
- Substantial experience with multiple filings and staging of documents and exhibits to prepare such filings for attorneys’ approval and electronic filing
- Substantial experience with electronic filing through the New York State Courts Electronic Filing (“NYSCEF”) System, including familiarity with the various New York Rules of Court
- Substantial experience with electronic filing through the various U.S. District Courts using PACER, including familiarity with Federal and Local Rules
- Strong research, drafting, writing, and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills and the ability to establish effective working relationships with colleagues
- Ability to work well independently, as well as within a team environment
- Excellent grammar, spelling, punctuation, form and style
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for over 100 years.
We advise clients on the full range of their business, personal and philanthropic legal needs, both at home and abroad. With offices in the key financial centers of Europe, Asia-Pacific, the United States and the Caribbean, we provide coverage and services that other law firms focused on the needs of the individual cannot. We have represented 46% of the Top 100 in The Sunday Times Rich List, 25% of the US Top 100 Forbes Rich List, 30% of the Top 20 Hong Kong billionaires in the Forbes World's Billionaires list and over 20% of the Forbes Asia's Richest Families list.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
Withers Bergman LLP is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Equal employment opportunity has been and will continue to be a fundamental principle at the firm. Employment at the firm is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. The firm prohibits and will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on the basis of any of these classifications or characteristics.
If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website to apply for a position, please contact the firm at 203 789 1320 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.