A law firm focused on people and collaboration. For the past 125 years, Withers has supported some of the world's most remarkable people and organisations at defining moments in their lives. We are the only international law firm focused on successful individuals and private capital, working closely with founders, investors and family offices. We also advise governments, charities, global brands and start-ups of all shapes and sizes. Many of our clients are shaping the future and creating solutions to tackle many of the world's problems. It makes for a fascinating and challenging practice. Our role is to get to know each individual client, find out where they want to be, and help them to get there – whether they are building a business, looking after their family, involved in a complex dispute or protecting their finances for the future. To meet their unique needs we are exceptionally collaborative, working together across teams and time zones. We are agile, focusing on strategy rather than rigid ideas and traditional hierarchy. It is a truly flexible working culture that puts people first. Join us to be part of a team that is always looking to the future. Where initiative, big ideas and bold moves are always encouraged. Where you can truly be yourself.
What are we looking for?
As part of the ongoing principle to meet strategic objectives and continue to meet quality and outcome expectations when delivering change and transformation, Withers are looking for an experienced Project Manager to join a team of project management professionals in the central Project Management Office (PMO) to cover a period of maternity leave. The project manager will have strong understanding and experience of law firm operations and be able to provide the delivery leadership, knowledge and expertise to drive further value from our change projects and system implementations working alongside product owners, Senior Management Team, our fee earners/Partners, the technical delivery team and the function SMEs.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate successful delivery of system enabled change projects across business functions, proving confidence with IT and Business Focussed change projects through their approach and ultimately, the outcomes. The project manager will have significant experience of IT and business change projects which will enable them to drive system improvements and enhancements – and work closely with the various Project Boards and User Groups in providing structure and planning to help focus and deliver on the prioritised objectives. These will form part of the critical change enablers which in turn support the ongoing success of our ongoing digital transformation programme.
Based in London, but working with stakeholders across the globe, the project manager will oversee all aspects of their allocated delivery projects, from scope definition and prioritization with functional user groups, to structuring development and delivery tranches and realising the value and return on investment. The project manager will ensure the work is completed to a consistently high standard, within budget, that objectives are met on time, and ultimately meeting the firm's objectives. The project manager will make sure the project meets professional standards, including adherence to the Withers Project Delivery Framework and industry regulations.
Areas of focus and responsibilities
- Ensure the project is managed with a defined scope to time, cost and quality constraints.
- Structure and document the project stages through concept, start up, initiation, delivery and close.
- Provide day to day project leadership to motivate project teams to deliver against agreed project objectives and schedules.
- Proactively manage third party suppliers to efficiently and reliably deliver services and systems relevant to the in-flight finance projects.
- Manage project stakeholders and sponsors across both fee earner and business services teams to ensure alignment of objectives, expectations, priorities and activities.
- Elicit business needs and translate them into clearly documented and agreed requirements.
- Contribute to the analysis, documentation and proposition of solution options, working with stakeholders across various teams to identify and gain sponsorship for the solution which best achieves objectives.
- Develop, review and gain agreement of project plans, request resources and deliver achievable tranches to accomplish project objectives within the context of the overall portfolio of initiatives.
- Develop and execute change management and communication plans in a global, multi-disciplinary environment.
- Proactively identify and mitigate project risks, issues and dependencies to ensure project objectives and deliverables are achieved.
- Work with PMO and Portfolio governance boards to ensure appropriate resources, skill sets and budgets are available in order to meet all project targets.
- Undertake financial project management, in liaison with the PMO, finance and delivery teams.
- Provide clear, informative and accurate project status reports demonstrating progress against milestones, project expenditure against budget, and highlighting pertinent risks and issues to stakeholders.
- Prepare and effectively communicate required project documentation (including development proposals, initiation documents, exception reports and options papers) and information to Project Board meetings, Working Group and Focus Group sessions.
- Utilise the Withers Project Delivery Framework and project management tools to plan, manage and communicate throughout each stage of the project.
- Support the PMO by providing expertise in the refinement of project governance and frameworks.
- Facilitate opportunities to uplift capability in Project Management across the PMO.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content of, and requirements for the performance of this job, and as such, the role may also include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
Key attributes and skills
- Demonstrable success in Law Firm operations project delivery, through a full life cycle using industry-standard methodologies.
- Ability to work in a fast-changing environment and to drive clarity out of uncertainty with sound judgment under pressure.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in order to engage with stakeholders at all levels, with the professional gravitas to effectively lead and facilitate executive-level meetings / steering groups.
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills at all levels of seniority in order to gain optimal decisions from divergent stakeholder opinions.
- The ability to work either from home or Withers office as appropriate, with willingness and ability to travel if necessary, depending on the stage of the projects under management.
- Ability to successfully manage multi-disciplinary teams across global locations.
- Share best practice examples of project delivery frameworks, tool & techniques, templates for ongoing sustainability.
- Be willing to challenge/remove blockers that stop the project managers successfully completing their jobs, be they from internal or external factors.
- Be prepared to wear “more than one hat” when necessary and to "roll your sleeves up" to make things happen.
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness in dealing with global stakeholders and suppliers.
- A strong customer-centric approach.
- A strong team player, willing to work closely with colleagues from multiple teams in a mutually collaborative manner.
- Flexibility and pragmatism in dealing with change, whilst maintaining focus on objectives.
- A strong desire to solve problems and contribute to a positive and supportive learning environment.
- Knowledge and experience of Microsoft office software, including Project, PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
Qualifications and experience
- Prince2, APM or other recognised project management qualifications/experience (essential)
- Managing Successful Programmes (MSP) Practitioner (desirable)
- Strong experience and understanding of delivery methodologies across Waterfall to Agile – when and how to implement the right model.
- 5+ years' experience as a Project Manager within a Law Firm or other professional services organisation – delivering finance operations focussed technology and business change projects.
- 12 month FTC
- 9:30am to 5:30pm but flexibility is a must;
- 12 week probation period
- 12 weeks’ notice period
- Flexible benefits package including pension, private medical, season ticket loan, subsidised gym memberships, lifestyle discount scheme, on site café plus more
Information for Recruitment Agencies
Withersworldwide endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, Withersworldwide operates a preferred supplier list and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withersworldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race (including colour, nationality and ethnic and national origin), religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.