The legal secretary position at Withers Bergman is responsible for increasing attorney effectiveness by providing administrative support, information and information management and representing the attorney to clients and others. This role is resident in the San Francisco office and is assigned to the Dispute Resolution division but may support fee earners in other divisions.
Scope of Responsibility
This position will work to support Partners, Associates, and Counsel (subject to change in the future). The job encounters recurring as well as new and varied work situations of moderate degree of complexity, and includes frequent contact with others inside and outside of the firm including immediate partners, associates, and supervisors, members of other departments or other offices, clients and other professionals. Annual compensation commensurate with experience and ranging from $70,000 - $85,000 per year.
- Produces information by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and graphics; coordinating case preparation.
- Transmits information to courts and third parties by electronic filing, preparing submission in accordance with governing rules, creating proofs of service, drafting correspondence, completing courtesy copies, and strict adherence to deadlines.
- Conserves attorneys’ time by reading, researching, reviewing, verifying, and routing correspondence, reports and legal documents; drafting letters and documents; collecting and analyzing information; initiating telecommunications; organizing client conferences and attorney meetings; scheduling couriers, and other special functions; coordinating preparation of charts, graphs, and other visuals; preparing expense reports. Circulates information and documents in a time sensitive manner.
- Maintains attorneys' calendars by planning and scheduling conferences, teleconferences, depositions and travel.
- Provides historical reference by developing and utilizing the filing and retrieval systems.
- Maintains electronic filing system (FileSite/iManage) and hard copies for record keeping when necessary.
- Arranges conference rooms and any needed IT support and systems (e.g. videoconferences).
- Represents attorneys by communicating and obtaining information; following-up on delegated assignments; knowing when to act and when to refer matters to attorney.
- Coordinates billing on a monthly basis including inputting attorney billable and non-billable time, preparing and editing draft bills and final invoices and distribution to clients. Tracking of paid and outstanding invoices.
- Prepares Chrome River reimbursement and credit card expenditure reports to accounting for assigned fee earners.
- Supports the New Client Intake process which includes the conflicts check, matter details and Engagement Letter preparation.
- Maintains client confidences by keeping client/attorney information confidential.
- Assists with providing coverage to other attorneys as well as Reception when requested by the Office Manager.
- Operates office equipment such as photocopy machine and scanner to produce copies and scanning when needed.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational and training opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Provide Notary and witness services to clients.
Specific Skills Required
- Must possess strong technical skills, such as typing, and have a good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint 2003 and 2010 as well as programs such as FileSite/iManage and Elite.
- Solid command of the English language including excellent spelling, grammar, punctuation, form and style. Ability to compose correspondence needed.
- Strong communication skills: the ability to express self effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Interpersonal skills: the ability to establish effective working relationships with colleagues
- Knowledge of library operations and records storage procedures for retrieving materials and files.
- Previous experience in preparing pleadings, briefs (including tables of authorities), declarations, exhibits and other litigation documents, as well as electronic filing documents with Federal and California courts.
- Previous experience with document management systems and electronic organizational filing methods preferred.
- Familiarity with legal terminology pertinent to the areas of assignment.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask effectively. Must be proactive in planning of work and fee earner needs.
- Ability to work both as a team as well as independently.
- 3+ years as a secretary or administrative professional, preferably in a law firm though experience in other professional service industries (engineering firms, accounting firms, architectural firms, etc.) will be considered.
- 3+ years of legal industry experience, preferably within a midsized or large law firm’s litigation practice group.
- Experience with wealth planning or private client groups is also welcomed.
- Previous experience supporting at least one partner/high level manager in a legal or professional services environment.
- NY Notary highly desired.
- This role is hybrid and must be in the office 3 days week.
- Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred.
For 125 years, our firm has focused on and helped successful people, families, entrepreneurs, family businesses, governments and institutions negotiate the wide range of legal issues they face in their business and personal lives. Over time, we have gained valuable insights into the ways wealth can be generated, preserved, deployed and enhanced. We assist our clients in a variety of industry sectors including real estate, manufacturing, motorsport, luxury brands, sport, hotels and hospitality, technology, energy, art and cultural assets, life sciences, charities and philanthropy and financial services. With 17 offices our experience means we can see the global picture. We provide legal advice across a range of different practice areas including estate planning, personal and corporate tax and, corporate, banking and finance, access to capital (both private and public) both equity and debt, real estate, intellectual property, immigration, international trust structuring, philanthropy, luxury assets, international probate, public international law and international arbitration.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withersworldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race (including colour, nationality and ethnic and national origin), religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website to apply for a position, please contact the firm at 203 974 0365 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.